Friday, April 20, 2007

Making a difference is worth the risk.....

I got to go see my kids today at school!!! My high point of the week! Last week was spring break so I did not get to see them last week. My wife and I ordered 7 pizza pies to have at my sons school for lunch today. The kids were pumped and ate almost all 7 pizza's! The kids that are shy have really come around after seeing me so much and the outward loving kids are just all over me and I have to tell ya - its pretty cool being cool for once!
I wanted to share a small story with everyone concerning a conversation that took place today with one of the kids. She was sitting on my knee as we all ate pizza and looking forward to ice cream - she said to me - My dad said something a few weeks ago that really upset me. I asked her what it was and she said that "My daddy said there was no God." I looked at her and my heart broke because I could see she was upset with this and was looking at me for an answer. She was searching in me to have something that I would tell her to calm her fears and to give her hope. She was clearly upset with this and I asked her - What do you believe? And she said - I believe there is a God. I smiled - hugged her and I looked at her eyes as she looked into mine (even with all the other kids running around, talking and playing) I said to her- then dear - believe that with all your heart and never let anyone tell you differently. She smiled at me and I could tell that worry was washed from her. (I wish there was a way to bring her to church - that would be so awesome!) She is 1 of the 2 children in that class I have especially prayed hard for this year because just by getting to know them a little bit - you can tell things are tough at home or just not what they should be. For that hour I am there - all things hard at home and the struggles they face each and every day are gone. For that one hour there is no worry - there is nothing but focus on smiles - being themselves for who they are and to know they are loved. I really do LOVE those children and as this school year closes, I know I will be the one in tears. Summer will be long for me - especially during my one hour happy time on Fridays with them - its a time where no matter what I am feeling, how I am doing, no matter what is going on in my life and in my heart, I have time to give to them because they are my priority and it just might make all the difference in the world to one of those children. The love they have is unbelievable and its a blessing that I never knew until now because the Lord opened this door for me to experience. Why did this child ask me that important question that has been on her heart for the last month? Why not someone else? Why does it really matter to a 9 year old? God knows - I don't know - but I am sure enjoying my kids and all the smiles they bring to my heart. I am forever changed.......

Mr. B ~

No comments: