Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Seasons.......

As I look back on the last few days serving in our church's VBS program, I can't help but to think about the seasons. A season of planting and a season of harvest. It has been a year of investing in my kids at school, at lunches, picnics and events, field trips, talking with parents and making an effort to reach out, letters during the summer to stay in touch and say hello - a chance to roll all this into a week of VBS and have some fun with these kids - also including all my kids at church in Sunday School who also have such a warm place in my heart and to also be a part of teaching them something about a God - a God who loves them regardless of what is going on in their lives. A chance to talk with their parents as they nervously drop their children off into the hands and care of others. It about investing and planting into these families that one day they may reap the harvest and begin to plant seeds themselves one day.
We harvest what we sow- plain and simple. Even at work - God goes with us in our attitudes and in the decisions we make - How we treat the people around us and if we choose to walk around grumpy or with a smile on our face. Whatever we plant we harvest. We plant more when we are younger and we harvest more when we are older. You will never hear an older person on their death bed say "I Wish I spent more time in the office". Our investments should be closer to home - in our families and in the people around us - in our churches. We don't have to pass down the things that have been done to us. We can break that curse and plant seeds of good things to pass along. Planting, Investing and harvesting.
What are you planting in your life today?
Are you still in self mode? Flesh is always hungry for more and never satisfied. If you are feeling SELF - FLESH - than you are investing in a harvest that will reap very little. Everyone knows a farmer and a farmer would be wealthy if he could figure out a way to plant and harvest in the same season. This is why we plant in one season and harvest in another. So we can work the ground, weed the weeds, water and take care of what we are working towards - the Harvest.
When my time comes to be with the Lord - I dont want to look back and have any regrets. I don't want things left undone and wanting more time. I want to be engaged now and planting the seeds of Jesus to those around me - in my family, my church and small group, my KIDS, my friends - arms wide open to accept those who are ripe to hear the Good News of Jesus. My time may be shorter than I realize so its time to get busy - plant, invest and harvest what I am sowing.
The last 2 nights I have taken a van full of my kids home after VBS. There is nothing like hearing belly laughing, seeing the smiles and all the giggles, walking each of them to their doors and listening to each of them talk a mile a minute with how much fun they had that night. One of my kids got up each morning and got dressed, ready to go to VBS...waiting all day to go! This is harvesting what we are planting. Nothing makes me happier - its just is unreal to me and it humbles me as I watch the Lord open these doors, not only for me but also for the most awesome people around me. Its pretty bleeping AWESOME!!!!
I am feeling the buzzzzzzzzzz.........
Can't wait till Sunday.......
Randy~

No comments: