Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In the Moment...

One of the things I have learned over the last few years is to not look too far down the road. Plan ahead but do know - those plans might change. Its like saving all your money and doing without so that one day when we retire - we might have the good life. What if we don't live that long - look at the blessings you are missing out on - look at the changed lives you might have taken part in if you were focused on other things. God tells us to invest in lasting things and not things of this earth. Many times Jesus told folks to drop what they had - give it to the poor and follow Him.
As I look down the road into the crystal ball of life - I see myself still investing in people - still seeking Gods will on my life - still serving at church -God has a purpose for me here. He has a purpose for my family - and not matter where you are friends, He has a purpose for you.

There is a man in the hospital in the bed next to Walt. I enjoyed so much talking with him yesterday - I just feel bad that I am only now getting to know him. He was going to work early one morning back in June. He was at a traffic light on his motorcycle waiting for the light to turn so he can make a left. He was then his from behind by 3 kids racing their cars. The one car wrecked and all that kid thought about was how wrecked his car was. He was arrested and thus brought the other 2 kids in as well. SO he lost his car - Reggie - lost much more. He was run over with a car doing 100Mph. He had both legs broke in 4 places, all his ribs broke, punctured lung, spine broke in 2 places and a life changed in an instant.
He was so excited Monday - it was the first day he was able to move his left toe. It has taken him months to get to this point - lots of pain and lots of work trying to teach his body to work again with his spine broke in 2 places.
As he was telling me his story - he was at peace with things. He has a loving family and he knows - that someone was looking out for him. He is alive for a reason. He goes home tomorrow and he is scared. He goes home to a house that he has not been in - in months. I told him that God has a plan for him. God has a purpose to have kept him here. It is up to him to make the most of this chance. He may never walk again - he may never be the Reggie of old - but Reggie is a new person and he smiles over his pain and his hurts. God does this to people!!!!

We never know where life will take us. Our plans are just that ... our plans. God may have different plans. Plans to teach you and prosper you.... plans to enrich your life with folks all around you..... I will continue to pray for Reggie - I only wish I had met him sooner. I still have more to tell him and maybe - God will honor that request and maybe not. Maybe I have already planted the seed he needed to hear in life. Maybe that seed was already there.... I may never know but deep in my heart....

I know Reggie is in good hands. Live each day in the moment.... moment by moment and never take any of them for granted.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: