Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Growing up is optional......

Ephesians 4:
1-3In light of all this, here's what I want you to do. I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel. I don't want any of you sitting around on your hands. I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences.
15God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love—like Christ in everything. We take our lead from Christ, who is the source of everything we do. He keeps us in step with each other. His very breath and blood flow through us, nourishing us so that we will grow up healthy in God, robust in love.

Let me share a story with you before I ask that you re-read that chapter again. This past Sunday at church my friend came with her daughter and she is at the age where she can attend Sunday school with the little kids. She has not been going and her mom lets her stay in the service with her and we had a talk a few weeks back about that. How does she get her daughter to go to Sunday School when she doesn't want to? So this past Sunday, I had my chance to make something happen. I didn't plan this but I had prayed about it and God unfolded the plan right before my eyes. Then I knew what I was to do because when we are looking for God - He shows up in all kinds of areas in our lives. So in front of me was one of my Small Group kids. She was standing in the front row dancing and moving to the music along with her brother and Kyle. It was really cute watching them together. I leaned down and asked her to come over to me and I whispered in her ear to take my friends daughter to Sunday school with her when she went because she didn't have a friend and she is a little scared. Being the trooper she is and shining all over the place the love she has for Jesus. She said, "Sure Mr. Lonnie" and smiled. So when Brandon dismissed the kids she turned, grabbed my friends daughters hand and away they went. No muss - no fuss. Connection made and all in the plans that Jesus had set up. See my rock group kid is all in. She understands and there is no fear really sharing the love she has for Jesus. I just love her and she has an amazing smile, an amazing attitude and she is just SO funny in everything she does. I am blessed to have this family in our Rock Group and I look forward to watching her grow and mature into a great lady!!
This is what God wants us to do. If you are guilted by the sermon into serving, inviting your neighbors to church and your co workers - than you have it all mixed up. You have things just a little backwards. Let me explain - re-read the verse above and then come back here.
God wants you to be serving @ church because you love Him. Plain and simple and for no other reason! It's part of your personal walk with Jesus and your personal ministry. You cannot grow as a Christian unless you are in a church that teaches God's Word and if you are not serving.
While leading a team of folks at church serving Setup/Breakdown - I know who shows up and who doesn't. Who comes week after week - who does double services and who is on fire for God. Serve for no other reason but for your love of Jesus. Then you will benefit from the experience and feel the satisfaction knowing the God is pleased and is delighted knowing you are serving Him and those around you. You are making a place for others to come and know Him. Life changing taking place in folks who need rescue and the Good News of being loved and forgiven no matter what and where they have been. Find your place that suits your talents - try all the ministries until you find your sweet spot - than serve like there is no tomorrow. Let that fire burn hot for God inside of you!!
Doing anything in this life out of guilt - never leaves us to prosper in anything. Serve because of the Love God has given you. Its time to get moving.......
Randy~

No comments: