Monday, October 15, 2007

Family time......


I am wanting to share with you today a few thoughts from our Rock Group study from last Sunday night. I am leading a series on Parenting for the next 4-5 weeks and I am just beside myself with how little I know about parenting. I mean we never as parents, get the manual - we don't have a published - get it from Amazon.com study guide. We do our best with trying to figure things out as we go along - sometimes changing directions and waffling on decisions. But there is a better way. See God left us His word and written in the Bible. There are lots of things in there about Parenting if we take the time to read Gods word.... God is our Father in Heaven right? We are family right?

First and foremost we need to show our family leadership in loving God with all our hearts.
Let me give you some statistics and you can judge these yourself:

Kids Who Become Active Christ-followers as Adults
If mom and dad went to church: 72% of kids will as adults. If mom only went to church: 15% of kids will as adults. If dad only went to church: 55% of kids will as adults. If neither mom nor dad: 6% of kids will as adults.


Deuteronomy 6:4-5
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

We must also Lead our families intentionally... read through some of the Proverbs and look for guidance in teaching our children. There are so many things there to teach us.

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

“The thing that impresses me most about America is the way the parents obey their children.” Edward, Duke of Windsor

Funny how after I read that the first time, my mind runs with examples of how and when my parenting skills are tested. How I can see children in them all or at Sunday School and see who really is leading that family. I want my family to be Christ centered and not child centered. Invest in the people around you, your wife or husband and let your children see that they are not in charge and how to love your wife/husband - we are teaching our children more than you realize. Our everyday actions and the words use are being absorbed like a sponge and will be used .... they will be used.

Mark 10:14-16
13-16The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.

The last few years have been such a blessing for me to get to really know and share my heart with the kids in my life. My life has forever changed because of them and I pray that I am changing them 1/2 of what they have changed me. Thank You Lord for all of "My Kids".

Praise God for godly parents and friends who see their responsibility in blessing children. Praise God for you who will say, "I didn't get it but in God's strength I'm going to give it."

If I have done anything great in my life - I want to be remembered as a dad who loves Jesus, his family and all of "My Kids".

All Gods best today,
Randy~

No comments: