Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ephesians 6:4 “Honor your Father and Mother.” This is what Gods word commands us to do.

Growing up I have such fond memories with my family - times spent together at the Grand Canyon - camping in the Grand Tetons and visiting Yellowstone - Judo Tournaments all over the country - swimming in the summer - listening to my mom play Elvis every chance she could -working with my dad at the restaurant. I remember lots of good things and the sacrifices that my parents made to keep the family unit working. I think about the many struggles I face today - have faced in the past and the things I have yet to face in this life. I have learned many things about marriage, teamwork and communication not only with my awesome wife Carol but with my son Kyle. I think we all look back and want to improve on what and how our parents raised us so that we can give and be better at being a parent to our own children. Honoring your Mother and Father ... mean many things to me - some good and some I think I am falling short on.
The last 2 years have been especially hard when dealing with anything concerning moms. Mothers day is forever changed as is every single holiday and birthday. Even Father days are different and my birthday (which is not any time soon). The folks around me complaining they can't get along with their mothers or fathers for whatever reason and excuse. I know Carol feels the same way I do when we hear mentions concerning moms - Our moms are not with us anymore except in our hearts. All we have to hang on to are the memories and the promise of seeing them again in Heaven. I long in a way for that day ... and keeping my eyes upon Jesus so that when my time does come... Mom will be right behind our Lord and Saviour. Death is so final here... today visiting school there was a child in middle school that is no longer with us. For whatever reason either by issues this child had or by accident - I just don't know but the result is the same.... its final. I pray for his family and friends because like any death - the ones left behind are the ones that hurt the most.

Honoring my mom now has been really hard. She has left me with many promises that I hold very close and tight to my heart. They were her last instructions for me to do before she left. I often wonder how I am doing with them and sometimes even feel I am not doing enough or going about things the wrong way. I know one thing I am falling short on is honoring my dad. I just dont feel I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. I know he too is having to learn his new life over - he is looking to find himself and who he really is. He struggles at times just like we all do and there are days I am sure that are just unbearable. I feel bad in so many ways that people have to continue on in life without all the things they worked so hard on in life. Especially with another person and one who we really love with everything we have. I know I can do better as a son and I look at how I am being a father to my family and see the places I too need to improve, grow and learn.
Dad - I appreciate everything you have always done, the sacrifices you made for us, teaching us and showing us how to work, never to give up and believe in our selves. I think this generation behind me needs their parents or fatherly figures more so than any other. There is no war taking away dads - many are leaving on their own. Mothers are having to raise the family and pass on those family values alone. I feel for all those kids - those awesome moms out there struggling. Dad I could write all day on thank you's.... and I know I have been somewhat distant - I guess I am just giving you space so you learn once again - who you are and where you fit in life now. I think that is what mom might have wanted... we are here and never that far away.
You have in many ways, made me a better person, a better parent, a better friend and leader in my family. The last 2 years have been hard but my heart is humbled because of Jesus He has been the polish so that I may shine for others to see. I think with each passing generation the awesomeness of being a father grows. Kyle will one day be a great father and a great husband - He knows Jesus already in his young life and I know with all my heart God has big plans for him. Kyle is Gods child before he is mine. I guess I get to experience in all those moments - those tears of his first girl friend, his first car, his first date and the wrath of a father when he comes home late for the first time! I understand your worry now dad ... because I have such high expectations and dreams for Kyle and things happen in life - just like that.... turned on a dime.
I understand a father's love... and the importance of giving it. I even feel that love for "My Kids" because they need it and I have it to give.... because God has given me a heart to give. Some one close to me this week - told me that I was a man of "Peace" - and that is so true. I do have peace in my heart ... something I have never felt before until I experienced and accepted Jesus. He chose me long before I was born ... he has chosen you as well. Our heavenly father loves us all and wants nothing more than to have a relationship with us. Like a child who goes astray and breaks a parents heart..... many of us are doing just that to our Heavenly Father. I pray that one day we may return and experience the Love of a Father once again.

I pray this is what I am commanded to do: Ephesians 6:4 “Honor your Father and Mother.”
My mind is racing...... but I know for sure -that nothing should stand in the way of this relationship.

Miss you mom and thankful for my earthly dad and my heavenly dad,
Love to all "My Kids" ~ and to my son - Kyle. Love you buddy.... Daddy is proud of you in SO many ways.... its an honor to be your dad and friend.

The last few weeks I have been leading my rock group on Parenthood - and this is one of the web sites I shared with them. http://www.parentsareclueless.com I wonder if a website like this would have prevented in any way what happened yesterday....

Sometimes it takes a team of folks (the entire village) to raise a child. I am thankful for all the children that my heart is touching today. Humbled yet again .....

No comments: