Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Walmart Experience...

Many of you know that I don't like Walmart that much. I think the company long ago had its values lined up correctly and since the Daddy has left the empire to the children - it has really went down hill.
Last week my son and I went to the Walmart in Charlotte - We were at the store next door and I figured we can run in there quickly and get a few things we needed. Fully dreading the idea even before we got in the parking lot. As we walked in we were greeted by a nice older lady and then it was down hill from that point on. Rude people - Isle's too small - product all over the floor - can't get down this isle and that isle because of folks and product jammed all in the same space. I am thinking - what if there is a fire? How would we all make it out? All of this to save a few bucks - to ship our jobs and manufacturing over seas? I think I am even more leaning to the mom and pop stores - the local business community even if I have to pay just a little more for something.
So after Kyle and I got what we needed - scrapped the rest of the other items to just save ourselves from any additional torture - there it was. Stopped dead in our tracks near the food isle and the cleaning isle. Someone had puked all over the floor. The smell was pretty bad and people just continued walking around - looking on the shelves doing their thing.
Kyle and I bolted for the registers. As we approached - there were lines of folks all over waiting. Down on the left out of the corner of my eye I see a register open - no line. We make the walk over as to not draw attention and give our place in line away.
We walk up and there is a black lady there - a big lady but what a smile she had. She said to Kyle and I, "Hi, I hope you are having a blessed day today and you found everything you came for today at Walmart". On her neck was a Cross - and I was taken back. Out of nowhere - someone representing Jesus was standing before us! I was just amazed - Kyle began bagging and I told the woman that I liked her Necklace and she said "Thank You". I said "ma'am" - as she was finishing up the bill and making the transaction - "You are a bright spot today in this store. Have a wonderful and Blessed evening".
She smiled and started with the next customer. I almost forgot about this story until this morning. I spent a little time in Proverbs and then read a little in a book I am reading from Franklin Graham. I am reminded that God is in all places if we look for Him. Sometimes He shows up in the most incredible places - when You least expect it. One day last week - He reminded me that He was in Walmart and He was represented by a wonderful cashier - who probably doesn't make all that much money - is probably struggling with things in this life like the rest of us - but looked peaceful- happy and not a worry in the world.
If you are having trouble finding Jesus today - look for Him in everything you do, everywhere you go and in all the people you meet. You will be amazed and where He is and how He shows Himself to you.
I still am not a fan of Walmart but that day - I am glad I went.

Randy~

No comments: