Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Reflections.... Part 1

Proverbs 20:7
7 The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.

With Carol and Kyle out of town - I have been busy but I am also making time to study a little and catch up on a few LifeTalks - Yes Sermons... boring I know but many times, life changing and eye opening!
I am moved today with where God has my family and the direction that it's going in. I am not saying anything is easy and there are tough times, hard things to work through and refocus is necessary at times to stay on course - just like a ship that gets lost without its navigation.
Many of you know that I do believe in Vitamins. I think a body does not get all its nutrients from our food these days even with all the hype of added this and added that. I think our diets today contain too much "Fake" Man-Made by products and not much we eat today is really natural. For our children, I think the most important vitamin they could ever take would be one of a home of peace. There are 8 essential vitamins but I think a home of peace would be the ninth. Many folks grow up in homes with fighting, strife and tough things. As children we learn to deal with conflict and resolution and fighting fairly by our parents. We are the examples that in our actions and words - we are teaching our children.
Let me ask you - if you asked your children today no matter how old they are - How would they answer this question. Who is the most godly person you know?
How would they answer? Would you be that person? If not, than what is holding you back and why?

During the summer, Kyle and Carol usually sleep in past the time I leave for work. Its a different schedule when school is in since Kyle has to be out of the house earlier in the morning. So during the summer, I have time to make coffee, breakfast and have some quiet time reading my bible. I also pray in the morning before I get up and make my final morning preparations before leaving for work. Last week, Kyle came out of his room earlier than normal and he walked up to the table and stood there...probably trying to figure out what was wrong with me because I had my head in my hands at the kitchen table in prayer. Silently praying for the day ahead and for those in my life who need to be raised in prayer to our awesome God. I finished up and he startled me - but it was awesome in so many ways now looking back that he "Caught" me in prayer. I don't know if I am the most godly person he knows because he is surrounded by awesome folks who know God!
Some of you know that the word "Can't" is not in our home. It is not used at all because as a father - I know that God can do far more than anything I can ever do in our homes. Can't should not be used EVER when it comes to dreams and be able to do things. I am not talking about getting icecream and me saying "no". You know what I mean - but God CAN do what seems impossible to us. Our homes should be a loving place, an accepting place, an encouraging place and a place where our children get to witness LOVE from a mom and a dad. For the homes with divorce, there is nothing wrong with that level of love from a parent - even if one is missing from the home. I Value my small group so much because deep in my heart - I want to make up for that level of love to those children - even the ones from the married families who are currently in my small group. I love these children like they are my own and that goes for those who know me and Carol - You know who you are without any doubt! Setting a good example - a loving example and someone who maybe one day - they will need someone to come and talk to or a shoulder to cry on. Little by little chipping away at doing the right things and staying on course. Nothing happens overnight and with quick fixes.
My little brother recently asked me what was he going to do with his out of control young kids. I really think that a child has its best mold features when they are before 5-6 years old. Just my understanding now after having a child my self. After that - if you child is lost and is feeling out of control - its going to be that much harder to pull them in. Ever wonder why gangs and crimes from young people happen today? Its the dads missing from the equation. Dad is probably not in the picture anywhere.
Friends, I value my responsibility as a dad so much. I am not perfect and there will be days ahead where I am going to have to sit down with Kyle and maybe even my small group kids and say I am sorry for something and that I have fallen short of Gods best. But I will do that when its needed because if I can't come to accept God discipline - how can they accept ours?
Kids do need discipline an in such a way that they still know they are loved first and foremost. Just a little redirection in attitude or attention - Kids today we are losing so fast because we are not raising our kids to Gods standards - we are letting the media tell us what to do - TV people.
Read the book of Proverbs -
32 He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.
Taking on the responsibility as a dad - there is nothing more important. Teach your children, ask God to help you and guide you - to pick up the pieces from where you fall short on, spend TIME with your children one on one every few weeks at least - make the investment today and NEVER GIVE UP. EVER......... they will love you more for it later.
Thank You Kyle for being such an awesome son - compassionate for others - the love for others and caring about everyone. Jesus has big plans for you bud. Proud of you no matter what you do in life. Daddy misses you.....

Randy~

No comments: