Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When in doubt - PRAY


One of the things I have been doing the last year and a half is keeping a journal. A time where I spend with God in prayer writing down my heart - I have lost track of it this month for some reason and I am unclear if God is moving me away from it or if I am ready for something new. It has been on my mind for a few weeks now if I should continue to write in it - maybe it will be neat down the road to read it when I am gone or to pass it along to my son or wife. I am unclear right now if this is something I should continue to do. God has me motivated and doing so many things that are good for His kingdom. I have to make the time now and sometimes its really hard to find those 20 minutes a day to type down what is really on my heart. I have been sharing this journal with some family members who are really close to me. People I could tell anything in the world to and not feel one bit of shame or embarrassment. It does let them know I am praying for them and praying for things in their lives that is important - maybe to bond us together and keep us in focus of God and what blessings we have in our lives. As I think back over the last few years doing this Jabez journal - it has been a great blessing in building those relationships - in building trust between us and really putting myself out there with how I am feeling and admitting also that I don't have it all together - that I am also scared with things... especially when God is asking me to do things I have never done and taking risks. God has proven to me over and over again that he is faithful. To continue to pray about the things that are dragging me down - you down and to give my thanks more importantly. To keep my family safe and to help us all grow in His understanding. There are setbacks - we are human and we make mistakes. Sometimes its hard to wait on God and listen - just for the right moment when the doors open and we can close that hurtful chapter behind us and to walk into greener pastures. The things is, God is with us during those times - the good times and the bad times. He endures with us and if we keep our eyes on Jesus - He will bring us through those seasons in life - He will bring people into our lives to help us - even if its for only a short season - there is much to learn during these periods and from these folks. Waiting is probably the hardest thing to do and if we don't wait we open ourselves to hurtful decisions. Waiting on marriage - waiting for that promotion or that new job - waiting to move - waiting on God to deliver us from the pain we are in right now with the loss of someone we love - a great friend having to move because of a job and you have been really close all this time and your feeling that people just leave when you get close. I am here to tell you loved ones, to trust in Jesus - to pray for those things and for Him to show you the way. God will bless you and the things you are struggling with if you put your trust in Him. What are you doing today that would bring a blessing to someone? Are you dragging someone down or raising someone up? What is God asking YOU to do today that you are not doing? Are you taking a risk for God and inviting someone to church - to speak the truth and standing up for what is right? Is something holding you back from where God could take you - like an addiction or a past pain in life that keeps you where you are?

Are you practicing the practical love of Jesus? Those who don't know Jesus - the only part of Jesus that they may know is what your actions and words are. Set a good example for Jesus...

There’s an old adage that says, “God’s answer to your prayer is seldom early, but it is never late!” God will give you the grace you need when you’re in His timing. So if you will keep a right attitude and not allow bitterness or resentment to take hold, then at the right time, in due season, God will answer your prayers. The answer may be “No,” or something different than you think, but it will be for your best. Habakkuk 2 tells you that God has an appointed time to answer your prayers so that you receive just what you need at just the right time. You probably have plans and dreams that God has put in your heart; wait for His timing to bring these dreams about. Your situation will improve, but on God’s timetable, not yours!

Habakkuk 2

For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.” (Habakkuk 2:3)

Lord I pray today for those who are hurried - to hear from God in some way ~ I believe Lord You are at work in our lives bringing about what You know is best for us. Our desire today is to be patient as we faithfully await Your answers.

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

After reading your blog I keep running a song over and over in my mind. It goes something like this:

Farther Along
Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder, Why it should be thus all the day long, While there are others living about us, never molested tho in the wrong.
Farther along we'll know all about it, Farther along we'll understand why; cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine, We'll understand it all, by and by.

When death has come and taken our loved ones, It leaves our home so lonely and drear; Then do we wonder why others prosper, Living so wicked year after year.
Farther along we'll know all about it, Farther along we'll understand why; cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine, We'll understand it all, by and by.

"Faithful to death" said our loving Master, A few more days to labor and wait; Toils of the road will then seem as nothing, As we sweep thru the beautiful gate.
Farther along we'll know all about it, Farther along we'll understand why; cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine, We'll understand it all, by and by.

When we see Jesus coming in glory, When He comes from His home in the sky; Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion, We'll understand it all by and by.
Farther along we'll know all about it, Farther along we'll understand why; cheer up, my brother, live in the sunshine, We'll understand it all, by and by.