Monday, May 14, 2007

Families........

I hope everyone had a great mothers day yesterday. Carol told me last night she had one of her best mother's days ever. That says allot..... especially when as a family - we did nothing that special. Some close friends came over after church - kids went swimming - cooked on the grill and just enjoyed each others company with 2 great families. I thought a few times leading up to this day that mom would give me a sign or wake me up in the middle of the night like she has done before - but there was a peace knowing she is OK and is happy on her mother's day spending it in heaven. I couldn't help but to feel extra for the folks I know who have lost their moms recently - maybe this is the first mother's day with out her - or maybe yesterday was a day that your mom is sick and this just might be the last mother's day with her. Regardless - many folks stayed away from others - stayed away from their families - not even simple phone calls or a card in the mail. I cannot begin to explain to you how much this hurts me.
Yesterday during church, Pastor Jimmy spoke towards the end about Kyle. How Pastor Jimmy was at our kids school eating lunch and he exchanged words with Kyle over lunch and when he was walking away - Kyle said to him - Hey Jimmy - I will see you Sunday and I look forward to 2 good services. I wish I was a fly on the wall then because I bet Jimmy had to check his hearing and the look on his face must have been priceless. Yes Carol and I are working hard to give him the best chances in life - to teach him the value of family and to teach him the value of church and our church families who are engaged in taking part of in our lives. A big important part I might add. But a few times yesterday - people said to us that we are the perfect marriage - we are a great family etc. Hey I am first to admit here folks - my family is just as dysfunctional as yours!!!
A few years ago before my mom got sick - things were not like the way they are now. HONEST. The lives you all see now is nothing what you would have seen just a few years ago. What changed was my mom passing away. There are 2 or 3 great moments in life that turn us and shape us more than at any other event or season that we live. Carol and I changed when my mom passed away - and Jesus entering it. We got to see the leader of our family pass on - with a tremendous battle - with grace and dignity - without complaining at all - and a smile on her face for Jesus as we sang and prayed with her. Life turned from that moment on because the year before, God was preparing me for this season - this big event that changed the direction of my life and Carol's life. We understand things differently now and see things differently now. I am that emotional cool dude that I said I never would be. I am that guy that has to hold back tears when all my life I remember dad telling us not to cry and be a man - suck it up. All things are different - and I care about people! You would never have convinced me a few years ago that Carol, Kyle and I would be leading a small group - with lots of people and children in our home every week! I was WAY too nervous for that and all my years, my thinking was the people were just out to get something or you would be hurt in the end so my guard was always up~ really never letting anyone get too close. That is just not the case anymore - Carol and I do have a great marriage - we work hard at it and we invest in it. We invest in each other and in our family - in our friends and in our church. We are motivated and honored to serve Jesus in the capacity that we are because it is a privilege to do so! There are many great rewards and many great things God is showing us - once we learned to trust Him. He is not even close to being done with us yet and we look forward to the future. We serve together as a family - we love together as a family and we love our friends together as a family. Sure there are struggles, tough decisions and disagreements - but we make it work because God is part of this family. He has equal share in what we do.
I just felt this on my heart today and I wanted to share with ya'll. Families are worth fighting for - they are worth struggling for and they are worth everything. Jimmy had great things to say about families yesterday. Even if we don't like everything about them and all the people in them - we show our kids that it's worth it and it matters.
My grandmothers got together with their families yesterday - on one side of the family we have issues that are beyond any reason. Why? I don't know - selfishness maybe - excuses being they can't deal with it. The other side they put their differences away and get together and mostly enjoyed yesterday. I wonder how many days like that there will be.... meaning once my grandmothers are gone - where is the glue? Who will step up and be the person to hold all this together? Will the families just seperate and head out to sea alone? ...
I look at my family right now with my mom gone - Yea yesterday was hard but it was OK because I know where mom is and one day I will be there also. But for those in our families who don't know Jesus - yesterday was probably especially hard. Maybe God needs to take hold of your family today. Maybe He needs to breath fresh air into the relationships that bind us by FAMILY. Maybe you're just tired of the same ol' story and hangups - maybe there is an unforgiven past that holds you back from reaching out to others - or even saying "I'm Sorry" - whatever it is - Jesus can help you from those situations. There are many dear friends around me today that are hurting - hurting because of a spouse leaving, or a marriage that is not working well right now, maybe a job loss or an addiction - maybe you have asked your spouse to leave and you're left with the baggage and the hurts - maybe you don't like being around your family because of all the past problems - I pray for you today! Because I hurt with you as well. God can do miracles - He can help with your hurts and hangups - just ask Him to get involved and see for yourself the changes that Carol and I experienced just a few years ago. It just might put you on a new direction and with a new purpose. Living for God changes everything. Our focus is taken off ourselves and placed onto others. Do for others before yourself....and watch the Holy Spirit take over you in a new and exciting way.

Randy~

Philippians 4:8
Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

"Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart." Psalms 37:4

I listened to Pastor Jimmy's sermon online this morning. It was good. So happy you have a great church to attend and worship God, it makes all the difference in the world for the family. I used to tell Sis that God established the family and if there is anything the devil loves is to get to the family, I said if he can get his foot in the door he will push right in. She was all about family, she tried so hard to keep the family together. She was the glue in our family. Now it is up to me to keep it going, knowing how important it was to her motivates me to try harder for her.

I know you and Carol changed when Sis passed away. And Kyle, he just keeps growing in the Lord, it is awesome!! His grandma (both of them) would be so proud of him. Everything changed when your momma got sick and went home to be with the Lord, not only your lives but mine also. God does have a way of getting our attention.