Thursday, May 3, 2007

"Saving a Life"

As many of you know I have been somewhat distant the last few months from my family. I am not sure exactly why - it's not like I am avoiding anyone and the phone, email and roads work in both directions. But maybe it has something to do with people who don't want to change - don't want to change anything for the better or the current direction of their lives. Maybe it is more of my eyes being opened and my life changing more than theirs are. I know we just don't see many things on the same page and in the same way anymore. I know my mom is in heaven and in many ways, it was her time and God's way for my family to take notice - God is trying to get our attention here!!! but many refuse and continue walking the paths they walk on and many continue to be in that same pit of despair they found themselves in before mom got sick. So as those occasions come and go - I say my peace - take a stand for Jesus and do my best to love the people around me and to encourage them to come to Jesus, there has to be a point where the word of God is not ripe for the harvest for them. More pain and suffering must take place and the word of God must move on to greener pastures. I cannot badger you with godly talk and living by examples when people are not ready for it.
2 Timothy 4
3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will reject the truth and chase after myths.
5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.

But- then again I am torn from walking away because isn't a soul worth fighting for? Isn't a loved one worth the effort to love them, encourage them and to share God's love for them? How can I walk away? If I walk away, what example do I set if all they see is me walking away and being distant? They don't know they are not ripe for Gods word. They don't know or even care that God loves them and there is a way out of the struggle - that they do have hope and there is more to where they find themselves today. Maybe I can't do this all myself - maybe as a team with 3-4 people around me all on the same page working and serving together - we can make a difference. Maybe we can get a loved one to see Jesus and all He has for them. Maybe there is a Divine appointment in the making and we just don't see it. As I pray my heart out for those in my life who need Jesus - maybe it's your turn to join me - to put ACTION behind your words and prayers. Maybe together we can strengthen each other and put Gods heavenly forces behind what we are doing...... giving up is just not in my blood. Sometimes to be a man we have to stand for what is right and not sit back and let things go, to let things slide - today - the next minute might be the start of eternity for someone close to us. Is it worth that risk not to do our part when their lives and eternity is at stake?
Mark 2 tells a story of a GROUP of friends taking their friend to Jesus. No way to get him to Jesus - roads blocked - thousands of people all around. They had to carry their friend because he could not walk. Never has he been able to walk - they decided to hoist him onto the roof in the building Jesus was in. They cut through and tore the roof off the building and lowered their friend to Jesus. Jesus saved him, forgave his sins because of his faith and his friends efforts. It was worth it to work as a team because if they left him alone - it would not have happened. Don't you feel the same way for the friends and loved ones in your life? When I come to church and serve on those early Sunday mornings - I can't help but to think that today is the day God changes a life - I want everything perfect - I don't want any excuses for anyone to walk out and turn their back on the message and the living water of Gods grace and love.
Read the story:

Mark 2
A Paraplegic 1-5 After a few days, Jesus returned to Capernaum, and word got around that he was back home. A crowd gathered, jamming the entrance so no one could get in or out. He was teaching the Word. They brought a paraplegic to him, carried by four men. When they weren't able to get in because of the crowd, they removed part of the roof and lowered the paraplegic on his stretcher. Impressed by their bold belief, Jesus said to the paraplegic, "Son, I forgive your sins."
6-7Some religion scholars sitting there started whispering among themselves, "He can't talk that way! That's blasphemy! God and only God can forgive sins."
8-12Jesus knew right away what they were thinking, and said, "Why are you so skeptical? Which is simpler: to say to the paraplegic, 'I forgive your sins,' or say, 'Get up, take your stretcher, and start walking'? Well, just so it's clear that I'm the Son of Man and authorized to do either, or both . . ." (he looked now at the paraplegic), "Get up. Pick up your stretcher and go home." And the man did it—got up, grabbed his stretcher, and walked out, with everyone there watching him. They rubbed their eyes, incredulous—and then praised God, saying, "We've never seen anything like this!"

Friends - email me..... call me..... it just is not sitting on my heart right and I have to do something. I want to do something for a GREAT God - not do something great for God. Imagine all the effort, pain and suffering - until just that day comes and the people in our lives who have rejected God and His love - accepts Him into their lives and hearts. It will have been worth all the effort imaginable. "Saving a life" - I hear many folks who are police officers - fireman and average Joe's who saved someone from a fire, a car wreck or whatever - they are on David Letterman - we can feel the same rush they do...... except its even better and more important.

Love you all and may God put a fire in your heart like He has mine ~ It will change everything.
Randy~

2 comments:

Sharon Davis said...

I grow weary with telling loved ones how close the coming of the Lord really is, and how quick their lives could end. What else do you do when you talk and talk and talk and they don't listen or don't want to believe? All you can do is pray for them. Sometimes it takes after we are gone on to Heaven for those prayers to be answered. Sometimes it takes something really bad happening to a loved one, and then even more than that to get someone's attention. I believe God is trying to get this family's attention. As a matter of fact your momma told me those very words, that God was going to have to allow something really bad to get some of the family's attention, and it did happen, to her. There are members of our family that are growing distant and cold with God. God does not want us to be cold or lukewarm. Your momma so wanted this family to be close. She grew up without that closeness, she wanted it all her life and she left this world for Heaven still wanting that. But you can't make someone do something they don't want to do, it is a decision that each one has to make. Some members of this family will only see how close they are to death and eternity when it is too late. Then it will be too late.

God help us all to realize just how serious this is. It's nothing to joke about or to put off, we are on the verge of eternal life, either in Heaven or in Hell.

God help us all. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I guess it may be time to shake this family up again. I'm sure that emotions will stir up this month with Mother's Day and Momma's birthday being the same week. Randy was so right when he said "the road goes both ways". But, in my heart, I've always known that if we don't step forward to initiate get-togethers, they won't happen. I feel bad for alot of reasons..but mostly because of broken promises. I feel bad for my Dad, because he really wants to hang with Lonnie Sr, but no effort has been put forth to arrange a get together. I feel bad for Kyle, because he misses his Grandma so much and thinks about her and prays about her every day, and Kyle has no relationship with his other grandpa that he loves so much. I guess I want to smack everyone else and say "Don't you Get It? It's Not About You. Get Over It. It's about Your Eternity"..!! Amen