Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Faith and Deeds

I was scanning the website biblegateway.com this evening looking for something that would stand out with me on how I am feeling these days. See I want to serve Jesus and our church. Many doors have opened since I have taken the steps to do so. Not long ago I too was the one who went to church once in awhile and when someone from the church called to ask me to serve doing something - anything - I had better plans and backed out. I never thought much about it or how important it was until recently. See God wants to use us - not just come to church and share within the walls - He wants us out sharing His word and making a difference in the world. As I have been taking notice the last few months with things at church and how things are setup - I see the excuses I used to use to not go - to not come back. I needed anything - small or big it didn't matter - one excuse is as good as another. So now when I look around our church during setup or the sound guys are working out the last touches and the band is warming up - I want to feel the energy and the excitement that God will make a difference to someone that day! I want to serve to the point where nobody has an excuse and walk out - everything the way each person needs and if that means cleaning the schools toilets and washing the bathroom floors to greeting people who are scared and help ease their fears. Guess what - I will do it because God is worth that effort ~ Lost people are worth that effort.
My son Kyle has a big heart and he recently made a card for the owner of our favorite place to eat - he drew all kinds of pictures and nice things to say on it - he gave that to her last week and it just made her cry she was so happy. Its hanging up now for all to see and it really did make her day - as did his momma and daddy. We got in the car and he looked over at me and said "Daddy, I like to make people happy - did you see how happy she was?" - We all should put ourselves into action and make a difference in some one's life. Sometimes the smallest of things, makes the biggest differences.
I pray I am able to lead at church - to serve before leading and to always be humble - to never ask something of someone that I would not do myself. God can handle the rest of my nerves and my worries. I am in good hands....... where are you today and are you making a difference in someones life?
If not put action behind your faith and get moving......

James 2:14-25
Faith and Deeds
14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

No comments: