Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday night supper....

Happy Friday everyone. It for sure has been a LONG week but I am so thankful in it.
Lots of families still today sit down and eat dinner together. I am sad for the ones who don't, as they are missing out on this time together as a family to talk about their day, parents get to talk with their kids and see how their day was at school and in their lives, they get to talk about family matters and address anything that is not working in the family as well as they get to share hopefully a great meal! Its a time to share together and to really set a long term vision/example for the next generation to put this meal time as a priority. I can remember Carols family always having the evening meal together as a family - they waited on each other if someone was late or caught in traffic. It was that important! My family, my parents worked different shifts but on the weekends - it was family time together over a meal.
Tonight there will be some families that get to hear about my visit to school to have lunch with their child. When mom or dad asks, honey how was your day? - they will hopefully get a cool answer by telling them I was at school today and visiting them at lunch. First off, this is taking place at school and I can see the difference it can make in some kids by being there - I have been doing this for 3 years now - Hard to believe...... Some of these kids do not like school and they don't apply themselves 100% and really focus ... I challenge them and remind them how important school is and keeping up with their studies but also making sure they are acting with respect and treating their classmates correctly. I am full of encouragement for them that they can succeed no matter what... it is up to them. Kids struggle with each other, popularity issues, boy/girl issues as well as bullies and that relationship with their teachers is all big things in the life of an elementary school kid. Their time at school can either be a battle ground or a growing ground into something so much bigger.
Tonight I hope that those conversation about "MyKids" day and their answer to "How was school today" - be a starting point to good conversations and examples. I really believe in visiting these kids is making a small difference. I put a lot of energy into it even when folks are looking at me differently. Its not every day a grown man walks into a school and invests his time into these kids - SO MANY KIDS - without it setting off alarms. For me, there are times of fear and there are times that I question why I am doing this because of the people that don't get it.
I remember the smiles and the difference that lunch visit is making and I know - It is what is right.
I pray every time for the kids I will come in contact with, their families at home, their home life and situations, their teachers and praise God for the opportunity to serve Him in this capacity even before I get out of the truck to go in.......
Tonight - I pray for those dinner conversations and a little bit a difference a school lunch can make.
Gods blessings and have a great weekend everyone,
Lonnie~

No comments: