Thursday, February 26, 2009


Carol, Kyle and I are just very blessed to have such great friendships in our lives. We are truly doing life with these families - the good times and the hard times. As I look back over my life, I have always had a close handful of friends but it was very small. It was hard for me to open up to others and let them in for fear of really letting them see who I am. I don't have anything to hide but I guess I just didn't feel the need to let many folks get close. The last few years in my walk with Jesus, that has all changed. The leading of a Rock Group, serving at church in a leadership role and the difficult days of losing my mom and my father n law over the past few years - has really opened my eyes to what it means to really have "Friendship". See if we all look at our friends, we have folks who will stick with us no matter what. When we are hurting they come along side of us and help in anyway that they can but more importantly - in a way we will let them. See a real friend will help - they really want to help - they just need the green light and to be told how. I have learned that over the years, especially during the times of great pain such as the loss of a loved one. People want to serve each other and as a follower of Jesus - it is really important that we accept and understand this. We are the church, we are the hands of Jesus when it comes to walking along side people.
Last year in one of our Rock Group lessons, I spoke about the people in our lives who are allowed to speak truth into us. We all need them - we all have to have someone we can let in and really tell us what is going on without the issues of that friendship being on the line. A true friend has your best interest at heart. They love you and care for you - they enjoy the victories in your life just as much as you do. They also hurt just as much as you do when life is hurting. I asked everyone to hold up their cell phone - everyone has someone who has allowed that person to speak truth to them that does not need them to be. They drag us down, they use us and its always an emotional ride because its all about them. I asked everyone to pray for that person, to pray about that person and then delete them from their phone. Remove the access of them speaking into your life - not to delete them from your life -just the access and a green light from your life. I too had to delete someone - I am still friends with this person today but that relationship is much healthier today because of it.
I read Proverbs 27 this morning and let me grab some scripture from those passages to share:
2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.
6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
10 Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you— better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.
12 The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
19 As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.

We are meant to do life with others. Be that awesome person to someone. Let me ask you this... When you are out with your friends, are they more like Jesus because of you? Look at the things you talk about when you are with them - is Jesus in those conversations? Or is it just small talk, weather, sports, the kids and the family and OH - the neighbor again. Are you a rock of emotional stability for your friends?
Is loyalty important? Teenagers - do you back up your friends when they are getting picked on by others? Do you step in and say enough of this - this is my friend and try to put a stop to it? People need to know where you stand in your friendships.... either behind them or with them. You must show your friends that you are loyal to them..... you can't hide it.
Loved ones, friends can either drag you down or lift you to new places. You have a decision to make.... we all do in who we give access to in our lives.

I am very thankful to be doing life with some great people...you know who you are. You make me a better person because of your friendship. You make me a better dad and husband - you make me a better role model because of your kids and a better listener as your kids talk with me. I appreciate you more than you know and I love you for it.
17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
That is pretty awesome.... :)

Lonnie~

No comments: