Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ordinary me....

I have been thinking the last few days about - me. Ordinary me. Nothing really special - nothing really standoutish - nothing really WOW but So much today people are going to great lengths to be extraordinary - to stand out from the crowd - purple, pink and green hair, nose rings, looking for that bigger and better shock affect and Hollywood is full of the ExtraOrdinary - sports is not even left out! So much of the population is just the ordinary, common person. Last night at the ball game, we got to sit in the front row- on court side. Some of "MyKids" that I brought with me, it was their first time on campus and their first basketball game. It was special with our Mascot coming down, giving them high fives and they even got to dance in front of the home crowd during the time outs. It really was a special time together. It was special because it is not the norm. I am ok with attending the games and sitting in the upper sections. I am ok with not standing out but still being part of the game and having my heart in the game.
I look at my Uncle Buster - He has worked a hard life living on the farm, a man that can fix anything he puts his hands on... farms because he loves it and that is HARD work. My Uncle Buster has served the Lord for almost his entire life, he sings in the choir at his church and does whatever the church or pastors ask of him. You can tell he really loves the Lord with all his heart. He has quietly loved and served the Lord for many years without much fan fair from those around him. He isn't seeking to be seen or to be noticed. I pray that if God blesses me with a long earthly life, that people can look back at my life and say the I loved the Lord like my Uncle Buster. Quietly and faithfully serving our Lord, loving and helping those around me and investing my time into things that matter most. God uses those ordinary people to do amazing things for an extraordinary God. God used little David, to be a great king to lead a nation of people. He was ordinary and his brothers were passed over even though they looked the part of being a good king and leader. God uses to common person in uncommon ways. I don't have to be extraordinary - if I strive for that, maybe that would not leave room for our extraordinary God. I serve and lead a ministry team at church that comes in early to setup all the ministry areas. Many times folks are not even coming in when we are done and have left to go home to get our families. We are behind the scenes... not much fan fair .... we stay late after the congregation is gone home to break things down.... not much fan fair... its behind the scenes but God is using me and this team of folks to get something done. There can only be one #1. Seeing and accepting myself as #2 puts things into perspective and in their rightful place.
Ordinary me .... serving an extraordinary God.

Do you see things this way? Let me know.....
Lonnie~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear what you are saying, but I do believe in my heart that you quite extraordinary..! You touch so many lives in the daily day-to-day stuff, esp with the kids. When I told the kids in Kyle's class (and kids in other classes, too) that you were not coming to lunch today, you could see & feel their disappointment, until I told them you were coming tomorrow..then all smiles...!

You are definately 'extraordinary' to me and Kyle.

Love you ~~ Carol

Sharon Davis said...

There is no greater compliment anyone could receive other than it to be said that "They loved God more than anything". That is my goal in life, to show people that I love God and that HE is the way.
I belive that is the life Buster is living and I strive to show that myself. The Bible says what is in our heart will come out of our mouth. If we truly have Jesus in our heart, it will shine through us, without having to be noticed or talked about. God used "ordinary" people throughout the Bible. Look at the young mother of Jesus, she was quite ordinary along with Joseph, but what a legacy HE gave them!

I believe you are living that life as well Randy. There is an old saying "You may be the only Bible someone reads" meaning our lives show others what is in our hearts. I truly believe you are passing that test with flying colors.

I think part of being a Christian is to be "Christ like", that is what shows to others. It doesn't come overnight, we are constantly learning to be more like HIM.

AWESOME BLOG TODAY!

love you,
Aunt Sharon