Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A picture worth a thousand words.....



The year - 1978. I have had this picture on my computer desktop for over a year now. I look at it from time to time just as a reminder of a "Mothers Love". I don't remember what had happened at this judo match but the hurt in my brother Craig's face speaks volumes to me. Kyle and I took the dog's for a walk last night and I asked him a question. I said" Kyle, when daddy comes to have lunch with you at school and other kids come and sit with us, you do know I am there specifically for you, right?" He said yes and he loved the fact that other kids are sitting with us because they also need a good fatherly figure in their lives. He understands that I am there for him and I am also there for all the children and for the teachers. Our children need more support these days. Earlier this year I heard that 2 of my Rock Group kids had NEVER had a visitor for lunch at school and they are in the 5th grade! Man, I tell you, that just breaks my heart. These are great kids and important kids. All the kids at Kyle's school are like "My Kids". There is nothing I wouldn't for them. It takes investment to get to know them. To continue to come back and spend time with them and get down next to them at their level for them to know they can trust me and this really opens them up to see who they really are. You can see which ones struggle at home and who are lacking in support and attention. You can almost always pick out the ones who come from divorce or are going through a hard time. I see these things as well as a child who is just awesome and has something really important to share with me and stories to tell me. God has opened my eyes and my heart to children. I do want you to know that every time I visit a school and have lunch with one of "My Kids" that I am investing so much in, I pray for that lunch time. I pray for the communication that is taking place and for the smiles that are shared. Sure sometimes kids are really struggling and hurting - last week was case and point where one of "My Kids" was being picked on and made fun of. She was really upset and it bothered me all week. She thanked me yesterday and it really puts a stamp on things for me - to know I am doing what is right. Investing my time and energy into these little lives and kids who are so important and have things to say and tell us - if we just take the time and listen.

Parents - our kids spell love - T.I.M.E - they mostly don't care that you buy them things. A Tuesday afternoon at school is almost empty of parents having lunch. Invest your time - don't let society have a grip on your children - teach them that God loves them and then show them Gods love through your actions and words. That is all I am trying to accomplish.

The Practical love of Jesus. Going to have lunch now ....

Randy~

No comments: