Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Evening thoughts....

I got a good chance today to put things into perspective. See there are a few folks at the nursing home that don't get any visitors. Christmas day - doesn't matter - its another day gone by and how few do we really get? Today my family while visiting Walt at the nursing home made the day of one of the residents there - Ms. Lizzie. She is such a sweet lady and in her prime of life - she was probably someone to really love! Her mind is not working all that great and her speech is something that she struggles with but I know she understands everything going on around her. I enjoy my stay there making small talk with her and getting to know something about her as I piece the pieces together. For me, it really puts things into perspective at how short life really is. I mean one day your 6 and the next your married and then your kids are grown and then well who knows how the story goes.
I want to make the biggest impact in this life. I want to touch as many people as possible and walk along side folks who really need a friend and someone to talk with. Today - I had a few of "My kids" that I am not that far along with yet to call them on Christmas. I had to stop myself and think well - maybe their families wont think the way I am. I will continue to pray for those relationships into the new year. So that maybe one day - I wont feel scared to call them or wish them Merry Christmas. Maybe today - they were wanting that call~ now you know where I am.

During the time I spent with my family this past weekend - I wanted to share with them a small story. I will share that now because I feel it in my heart to do so.
Have you ever been to BJ's or Sams Club and they are giving out samples of food they sell? I mean many times they have good stuff and if you time it right - well lunch can be on them if you make friends with the sales lady there! Why do they do that? Well - they are wanting to sell what they have~ if they give you a sample and you like what is given~ you will purchase what is given for free.
God works the same way. He gives you little samples for you to try. He is wanting to give you more but its up to you to want it and for you to put aside your fear to sample just a little of what he has to offer. There is so much more that He can give but so many fall short just before He is blessing you. God will not give you everything you ask all at once. He wants to give you a little as you can understand and appreciate. God does want to bless you but so many are unwilling to allow Him to do so.
Psalm 13 -
How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

That is awesome and I am thankful that my family and I know the Lord in a personal way and that the things of this life don't hold us back or keep us down. Its hard sometimes but we always know that the Lord is looking over our shoulders. The Lord is with us no matter what we may face. When it really comes down to it, that new car or big screen tv or that 1 hours of OT dont make much difference - relationships do. The people we are doing life with ... they matter and I love the people we are doing life with today. I live for those moments.... I pray for those opportunities to make a difference.

God you have been good to me also those who let you ~ Make the Lord your #1 and you will find meaning, purpose and happiness in life. The rest will fall into place ...

No comments: