Monday, January 22, 2007

True Character......

I am going to change a gear here with this post today. I have lots to share but will do my best to get a point across and make it clear. Well maybe as clear as mud to some so lets see how it goes - Shall we?
Matthew 5:
Salt and Light 13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
As we all go about our daily lives - each of us face decisions almost every moment. On Sunday we go to church, praise, learn and fellowship with those around us. Do we take this filling of our cup - that God has blessed us with on Sundays through the rest of the week? Do we slide back into our normal lives only to make it to the next weekend - the next Sunday and then to repeat the process? Put the church clothes back on and the church face again and again.... I think back when my mom was sick and with my heart breaking, I think about what was God doing? What was it that He wanted us all to see and learn? Something good has to come out of something so bad - so wrong - and so unfair. See mom was a child of God's - He was bringing her closer to Him and changing her character - to be more like His. God wanted us who knew mom - who was around mom and loved mom to see Him through her. Mom was glowing when I spoke to her about heaven - how Jesus would be right there for her when she gave up her spirit. She wanted more than anything for everyone she was leaving to be ok - to know Jesus and accept Him so that she would see each of us again. She made me write on a napkin - I PROMISE. This is how important it was for her to know she would see us all again. I know that when my time comes - Mom will be right behind Jesus- accepting me with arms wide open just like she did in life. She will again get to serve me, in my needs and in the things my heart needs. No matter what I ever did in this life, mom was forgiving and loving. Her character was much like Jesus - she served us all. She loved us all - above her own self and her own needs. There were no ties to her serving - just the love in her heart. I know this is the message that God wants us all to know - to serve those around us with nothing but love in our hearts. I serve those around me because I want to make a difference - I want to share the love I have for Jesus - for them - so that they may see Jesus in me. So that they may turn and share this with someone in their life. A blessing, that flows..... Its His light I walk with - this light has become part of my character. I serve those around me with no agenda - nothing in secret - wanting nothing in return except their love and friendship. I bet there is someone in your life right now that needs this kind of blessing, don't you?
I explained the other night to some close friends of ours that yes - my wife and I - we used to sit in the back row at church - that was the furthest we wanted to get inside but at least we were there. Never feeling connected - never making much of an effort - thinking the entire time what I could be doing, how long is this sermon? ... My momma changed all that with Gods hand. He had been working on me for months in preparing me for what was ahead. Serving - I can honestly say not many things are as high on my priority list than this. Serving - in our church - the people in my life - my family and friends - my coworkers and students -people I don't know. I look for opportunities and for openings, Blessings come in bunches - if you would just let your heart feel and experience what God has to offer. Today can be a new start.
Sunday morning - church is ready to start - Someone comes to the door wanting to come in - to look and see what is ahead of them for the next hour- Scared maybe not knowing much about church but something is tugging on them - A welcoming face with a big warm smile offers a kind word and eases the fears of a person who is there at church for a reason. We are Gods hands, Gods arms and Gods words...... Serving..... God didn't call His people to come together just to get blessed, but to be a blessing to someone else. If you want God to pour out His supernatural favor in your life, reach out to bless those around you. It starts with serving.....I serve you... because I love you. More to follow...

Randy~

No comments: