Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A gym in not just - a gym.....

Working on a college campus has many great benefits - some greater than others. Many that know me know I am a gym person and have spent much time over the years in this gym and that gym. For 11 years almost I have been going to the gym here at UNCC except the last 6-7 months due to some health issues but have recently signed back up and have slowly started to get my feet under me again. This past weekend my wife and I were invited by a dear friend of ours to tour the new YMCA facility near our home. I have to say I was impressed with the operation and my wife and I are still in discussions on how we could fit this into our lives, our schedules and the added expense each month to join. It has many good points to consider with fancy new machines - tv displays on almost all the machines - its quiet!!! and one can get a work out in when one chooses to work out instead of hanging out. Like the majority of college campus gyms - working out is sometimes not in the gym - in the gym with young folks - there is so much more going on! With the 8 tv's to choose from - not one of them had any thing worth watching. The music was so loud and my Ipod was blasting so loud my ears are still ringing just trying to block out the noise! Kids today listen to some really bad music - I am all find and dandy with musicians making music - selling albums and making videos - make as much money as you can - this is america and this is what makes america great. I am apalled at what MTV, VH1, BET and a handful of other tv channels show on their networks - even the commercials from Victoria Secret to Hanes underwear. I wont go into details but I bet if you have a teenager they are watching these channels. Just so you know - Directv has a channel package that you can order that is the family package - you wont find it advertised and it does not have these channels. FYI in case this bothers you as much as it does me- anyways - As I am trying to focus on my workout and listen to my Ipod and the sermon playing (ok I admit it!) - I have done this before on many occasions with thinking about the kids in the gym with me. Where they are from, what kind of parents do they have, what kind of values do they have, who is away from home for the first time and who are from here... I have many questions and my mind sometimes starts to think in OT. I think about the message that these TV shows are giving to our young people - my son in the not far off future, he and I will be having the "big talk" together. I am not ready to go there yet but I have to be with todays society. I need to start focusing on what to do, what to say and how to say it. Plant the seed and let him hear from my wife and I the truths and values we want him to have. Gods values - its the only way to really give him the truth and protect him spiritually and physically. I have many in my family and my friends - who have kids a little older than my son - some teenagers in middle school. I wonder if they took the time to talk - to show their children they ALWAYS have a line of communication open. Who else will teach our children these important issues - let them find out on their own, let their friends explain it to them, society for that matter? Scary stuff if this is the route you are chosing. I think my wife and I are a hands on type of parents - who are open for discussion - we talk through issues and we always come to an agreement on how best to handle things in life - in our marriage and in our decisions. Team work - We have some friends who are single with family and I am just amazed at the strength and determination in just making it day by day. No time off and no rest for the weary! Parenting is no easy task - there is no manual for the right and wrongs - funny how this all comes from a day at the gym. Young people - they are the next generation of Jesus desciples - its our job to train our children - raise them with godly principles and attending church - gaining values and self asteem. Praying for our children and families and having our children see the love in our hearts for our great king. I know many families around me are struggling - many are working on things them selves and nothing changes over the years- same ol' story year after year. Same ol' complaints, worries and struggles. As our children grow - our worry will be more- my son will be driving soon, his acceptance with a girl friend, sex, peer pressure from classmates - pressure from drugs, and fitting in. The pressures are real and we as parents have a comittement to work hard and do the best job we can in raising our children. No place to turn - dont know what to do?

Let me share Psalm 69 with you:
13 But I pray to you, O LORD, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation.
14 Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters.
15 Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me. 16 Answer me, O LORD, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. 17 Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble.

Lead your families friends with Gods love and in His grace - we are in this for the long haul and with each passing day there are missed opportunities to impact our children. Set a good example and lead them - show them what marriage is about, what loving their mother or father is all about, set the example and lead.
Funny how all this can come from a "Day at the Gym".

I will let you know how the "Y" works out or if I stay on the front lines with the students. Continue to pray for families......

Randy~

No comments: