Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Are you a poker player?

What a long day yesterday but what a good ending to the day. My uncle is doing fine and after speaking with him this morning- he is ready to do whatever to get on home. Probably not until at least tomorrow - prayers are still needed for him and my aunt. After leaving the hospital yesterday my dad took my cousin and I out to lunch and we had a decent meal - not my choice of food but as hungry as I was - I was not complaining. We shared some good laughs over our meal and it was a nice feeling sitting there as a family. My dad mentioned to me about Boston Rob and Amber have a new tv show. If your a survivor fan, like my family is, (well not this year - it stunk!) You will remember the season where Amber won the million and Rob came in second - during the final show he asked her to marry him. They did a show on their wedding and now Boston Rob is a poker player. I am not a fan of cards or even gambling all that much. Didn't care really if NC got a lottery or not - unless the schools get the money or for NC kids get to attend higher ed institutions for free or discounted. But anyways, Boston Rob is now a poker player - great aspirations in life! Last night trying to stay awake - the show of all things comes on tv. I sit and watch it since my dad gave me this big spiel on this show. I had to watch it just because my curiosity was up. Yea money has changed them I would say - Boston Rob and Amber fighting about being a poker player and she doesnt want him to. They are having a fight on the show now - and he has a beer in his hand. All I could think was - how sad. Such a stupid thing to be fighting with your wife about -all the while drinking a cold bottle of Bud - probably adding to the level of the fight due to the key senses are not working right because if his buz. This leads me to the poker game itself...
There are those sitting at the table - the sure fired up fella who is the risk taker. The fan favorite because poker is pretty boring until this person gets up and walks around, talks out loud etc. The other person is the quiet guy - who is studying cards and working his angles on winning. Another person really has no idea what he is doing and jumps from all in - to all out. The other person is the calm and TV type fella, people know him and is flashy for the tv - you know the type -he is trying to read his opponents no matter what he has in his hands. His opponents call the shots if he stays in, folds or he continues in the game with how they move their eyes or make facial movements with each passing card. The winner? - who care about the cards!

What kind of person are you in your faith if God was in the poker hand? Is your faith the guy who is calm and steady - the guy who is reading his opponents and is either in or out in a moments notice or maybe your the guy who is confident and really knows the cards and the chances of pulling the card he needs to win - or maybe your the guy who gets his card - walks around the table - talks to himself outloud and is all over the place? Are you all IN - or out when things aint going well - are you all out after the 2nd hand- or do you press on waiting on that next card to put you in the winners spot?
Where do you fall into Gods hand? I hate to say poker game because our faith is not a game and is serious business in where we spent eternity. I pray for a focused faith - a steady faith and knowing that our faith is resting in the hands of Jesus. He has control of our lives and every detail of our life! Our problems in this life have a purpose - everything has a purpose. From the people we meet in the stores - to our finances - to the jobs we have and our friends. Everything has a purpose, even those heart wrenching things we all go through in this life ~have a purpose. There is something to learn in each of them and being a Jesus follower does not mean we are immune to this worlds problems and heart aches - its how we go through them that matters most. My uncle saying to me - See you in an hour or I will be seeing your momma - either way - no matter what happens - its all good. Faith - steadfast and strong. Confident knowing our plans do not matter - we dont have to continue to wait to figure it all out - God delivers on time, no delay for a reason - he delivers when its time. Need a miracle?- keep praying because even though God has not answered you in the way you think He should and in your timing -
It might be He is already preparing you the answer or solution or the healing or the miracle for you to accept and receive it. Steadfast - Strong and Confident - Thats the faith in Jesus no matter our circumstances and problems.
Poker player - or not - which person are you holding the cards of faith?

Randy~

No comments: