Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Something on my heart~

I wanted to share something with ya'll the last several days but I have been waiting to get into the right frame of mind and to prepare just a little before I posted this. I came home last Friday from work just talking up a storm. I had something on me that I needed to explain and share because God had made something clear to me - from something I have been struggling with for a few weeks.
First off - I want to say I am excited about a new series I am leading my Rock Group in and I can't wait to dig in and get going - and to share that time as we all come together as family. I think and pray all the time for my Rock Group, each member, each family, each struggle, each thought and relationship. I mean the book I mentioned a few posts before - The Connecting Church - really has me in the Rock Group "Community" mode and even more of what a Rock Group does. Did you know that almost all Small Groups that come together and meet - in just a short 6 or so months - most of them turn into a social event and the only prayer comes when everyone is eating? That just blows me away but I can see it happening so easily. Staying focused and staying on course is sometimes hard work. There is a lot of preparation involved and lots of planning and you end up in places sometimes that your heart didn't know it could go. I have really enjoyed this journey!!

I have mentioned before that the first real "Small Group" was Jesus and His disciples. Jesus had people around Him that He was doing life with. They ate together, they prayed together, they traveled together - they did so much together in the 3 short years of Jesus's ministry. Small Groups today reflect on those same principles that Jesus and His disciples have taught us. Its an amazing experience if you have never been connected with folks in such an awesome way!
To further my understanding I came across the passage below last week in my read through Romans and it took me to a new place of understanding.

It became clear to me that even within our own families - we are a united Small Group. As the dad of my family - I am the spiritual leader and I am to set a good example for my children. I am to set a good example for those I come in contact with each and every day and even in every situation and circumstance! Even during times of struggle and difficult situations - we as parents (spiritual leaders) we are to set a good example. I can remember when my son was small and he would fall down and hit his head on something, he would look at me or Carol to see if we were in panic mode or not. If we were - well he would start crying. If we were not - well he went on his way tearing up what ever he was destroying :)
See in our families - we are a small group - our children are our disciples. We are teaching them and when we are out there floundering or making bad decisions, outside of Gods graces - We are teaching them where we are headed and we are taking them along with us. Suffering is most of the time determined by our decisions. Decisions make up the walk of our lives. This in one reason why God lets us choose Him or to reject Him. Our walk in life can be with Jesus or it can be our way. If we have decided to walk with Jesus and follow Him - we have to continue to pray and make decisions in life based on what God wants from our lives. We have to make good decisions - Decisions that keep us in God's blessing. He will not bless things that are not part of His plan and go against what He has taught us. Sin is sin - no matter how we look at it or ignore it - God still sees it. There is so much pain and suffering in the world today - if we just listen and lift our decisions to God each day and base what we are doing in life on what He is showing us, what He is telling us and what He is teaching us - our lives would be so much more.
Lets read the passage below:

Romans 7
17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.
21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.
24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.


Don't let sin into your heart - keep lifting and focused on God. He has brought you through some tough times and never lose sight of those times as He walked along side of you with comfort and direction - even during the hardest of time - times you never thought you would make it out alive. God loves you and He wants to bless you . Lead with responsibility - lean on those around you who will walk with you - love on the relationships in your life that are based on the love of Jesus and feel comfort in them. Our families today are under attack by so many things - lead the children and be a good example in everything you do. From the grocery store, to the bump on the heads, to money issues and relationship issues - take the path along Gods streams of flowing water......... its time for a new direction for our family Small Group~
Lonnie

No comments: