Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Some lessons to learn ...

I have been thinking about "My Kids" for the last week or so- Especially after spending some quality time with a few of them the last few days. I take these relationships to heart and very seriously because it has lasting impressions for all of us.
Here are a few thoughts about being a dad I will post more over the next few days.

Love God Passionately~
Fathers are commanded to love God wholeheartedly and to teach their children to do so as well. This also applies to the kids we all have under our wing or have an influence on.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. [a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

A child will figure out whether God is first in their dads heart. Go beyond taking your kids to church and praying before meals. Serve at church faithfully, give sacrificially, and worship sincerely! It has to be a love relationship rather than a religious duty.

Last week I was having lunch with one of "My Kids" and I looked around the parent table and I had 7 kids sitting with me. A few of them asked "My Kid" if I was her dad and she leaned over and grabbed me by the arm and said "I wish" - nothing that I do in life means more than that - to make a difference in a child like that. It was such an honor to hear that and know my investment is paying off. Before we ate lunch, "My Kid" put her hands together and blessed the food right there in front of her friends and in the school lunch room. It was pretty amazing!!

Hope you are having a great Tuesday!
Lonnie

No comments: