Friday, January 25, 2008

Being a dad/mentor on a Friday...

BY far there are more parents who go and have lunch with their kids on Fridays at school. During the week many parents are working or have other routines that keep them from having lunch but many times kids don't get visitors at all. I learned that about 2 of "My Kids" in the past few months - they are both in 5Th grade and both of them had never had a visitor have lunch with them. They are both on my weekly schedule to have lunch with - there are obstacles to cross over, teachers to build trust with and school rules to wiggle around but I continue to go and face the challenges because it is that important.
Today's lunch was great - Had lunch with 3 of "My Kids" today and on a day that I usually don't go to this particular school so it was a nice surprise when the kids come in and see me waiting on them when I am not usually there - but the awesome thing is - they are now looking for me each day at lunch time. That just touches my heart and makes me feel good that I am making that little difference in their lives. Today I had a chance to sit and pray a little extra for those 3 kids before going in because I was a few minutes early - its something I do every time before going into the school - to pray for God to have something for me to tell them, to have something for me to show them and for God to bless them and their families. I place all these relationships in God's hands because I know - It wont be like this for long. I accept that even though I really will miss this when they move on to middle school or don't want to have lunch with me anymore. But one of the things that really makes me smile is when I see the Lord come through these children. Even at school - where they ask me about the cross on my neck, they pray before they eat and we talk about Sunday school or our Rock Group. I always tell "My Kids" to make sure they tell their mom or dad that I was there and we had lunch together. Other parents have called or teachers call their parents to make sure it is ok - I am glad parents are looking out for each other and teachers are making sure its ok - but what an honor for one of "My Kids" to tell that parent or teacher that its ok for me to have lunch with their child. It is an awesome feeling and a trust there because I am investing in them and they know God is put first in those relationships.
In many ways I am being a mentor and I kind of look at that way because I am building more in these kids than just a friend and being one of dad's cool buddies. There is more to it than that.

Being a dad it is our responsibility to pour God's word and life lessons into our children.

Deutoronomy 6:7
7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.

I don't want "My Kids" - Kyle included to remember me so much as a dad but as a coach. I want to coach "My Kids" in life - I want them to experience it and guide them but not keep them from it and protect them so much. Yes they will make mistakes - we as parents have made mistakes and continue to do so but I also want to live my life being an example of where God is in my life. That life goes to God before everything else and everything else will fall into place. I want "My Kids" to see me pray, to hear me pray, to hear me talk about God on the phone and the conversations I have. God is our heavenly father and is very much our coach in life, cheering us on and keeping us encouraged, proud of us when we do good and He pulls us close when we don't or when we are hurting.
Don't put off another minute without telling your kids, no matter how old they are, that you love them and accept them. Children need to hear that from their parents. That they have parents who are proud of them. Don't ever assume they know it.... that we know it - we are children to someone! God passes the blessing along to His children - You can do the same to yours children. God is leading by example......

Love you all,
Lonnie

No comments: