Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Stepping forward...

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot see. God gave his approval to people in days of old because of their faith.
Hebrews 11:1-2


Here in NC the last week or so there have been several bears killed because they roamed too close to homes and neighborhoods. I feel bad for those bears because in theory - we have moved into their homes. With lack of rain here in NC and a very late frost that has killed lots of the food supply that bears eat now - they have moved into our spaces. In North America the top predator other than us would probably be bears. In other parts of the world it may be some other animal but the king of all the animals has been labeled with the Lion. I think about Daniel and how his faith saved him from the claws and teeth of the lions den. Our lives may be in that place - the lions den - where there is no place to run and no place to hide - no place to get away from the pain. Our faith is what will deliver us from the perils of death or continued struggles or even torn apart from the King of the Wild. Daniel had faith in God to protect him and we should also have that kind of faith. See Daniel had an option - to either bow down and worship the kings gods or continue worshiping God (Our God) and be thrown into death. He chose God and thus he was thrown into the pit with no escape and no way out - except through Jesus.
What is holding you back from this faith? What fear do you have that you cannot get over that is keeping you where you are?
I personally have a fear of heights and a fear of public speaking. Just watch me sometime clean the gutters! Public speaking - I still get nervous at my bible study each Sunday because I am leading a group of great friends, who are like family to me, in God's word. God is bringing me through those fears little by little and leading is a big part of that. When I accepted the role of leading a small group and when I was asked to lead the other ministries I currently am leading at church - I was scared. Ask Carol - I just take on so much as my job - I will handle it all and over the last few months I have learned to trust people and let them grow and exercise their gifts and talents in serving. They are the next leaders and I know my time is only for a season. My faith - had to grow in order for me to get to this point. God had to put me in places and in situations and with folks - in order for me to grow. I had choices - just like Daniel - to accept them or turn from them. Daniel could of said- "Lord, I will bow to those gods in the morning to save my own skin, but I will continue to call You my Lord." - Do you think that would have worked?
Point being, come out of your comfort zone - step forward in the grace that God has for you. Every Sunday I step forward at church - at my small group - in sharing my heart on this blog - I step forward leaving myself and stepping forward with God.
God opened my eyes to my kids this year, He is helping me lead at church, He is helping me be a better daddy and husband - friend, son, brother and coworker - He is making me a better follower of His son Jesus.
Step forward and be like Daniel - God will take you by the hand.
Love you,
Randy~

No comments: