Monday, September 8, 2008

How do you know God loves you?

I wanted to share with everyone today a small lesson that I taught to our Rock Group kids last night. Not even Carol knew what I was teaching and this being our first meeting last night - I changed things up from the way we had been doing things. Last night after our opening discussion, I played a video that was perfect for an opening to a Rock (small) group study. A vision of what God has planned for his children to come together and share/do life together.
During this video - I went out to the pool and had all the kids with me. I had them all sit and asked them to trust me. I asked them to shut their eyes and imagine with me being at Panther stadium. 73,000 fans all yelling and enjoying a football game. Panthers winning of course! The smell of hotdogs and pretzels in the air. I ask them if God loves all the people around them - all 73000. "Yes" - I asked how they knew that. I had various little answers which was very cool listening to. I asked them, "Well, what about that guy sitting 7 rows back who is screaming bad language?" - "YES" - "How about the lady who is sitting with her family and they have their hair painted blue?" "Yes" - "How about the guy in the section next to you who is just yelling his lungs out?" "YES" - "How about that Steelers fan sitting over there?" - Jackson yells - "NO!"
Everyone started laughing......
I told them that God does love those folks and yes even the steelers fan - but we know that because He has told us so.
I read -Isaiah 43 to each of the kids and touched their heads - their eyes still closed and head bowed.
Israel's Only Savior
1 But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, Taylor, Kyle, Morgan, Jackson, Marissa, Daniel, Wesley, Cloe, - he who formed you, Taylor, Kyle, Morgan, Jackson, Marissa, Daniel, Wesley, Cloe: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; 4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you.

I told them that God is with them no matter where they go in life. They are His light for others to see. To be a friend to the new kid in the class that nobody is talking to, to help a friend who might be making a bad choice, to smile and walk into your classroom with your head high and shoulders back. God loves you and YOU ARE HIS.

I asked Kyle to pray as we stood out at the pool holding hands. Marissa gave me a high five and smiled. Chloe jumped back in the pool. Kyle hit Jackson with the noodle and Taylor and I just laughed.
When the kids came back in and getting ready to leave. Wesley was asked what he learned in the little lesson and he said he had no idea..... and Jackson wants to have Rock Group every night.

I was not going to share this - I had something else in mind but after reading Erica's blog and not having enough room to share this experience with her in her comment section. Please pass this along and remind her that God loves her.... God has left His word saying just that.

Love you all~
Lonnie

No comments: