Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Character - what is it worth.......

There are many different things that define our character. I think most of our character is molded when we are children. The love our parents show us and the way we were brought up. Some of us have had some tough childhoods - we all are not equal in the opportunities in this world - even though this is America - the land of opportunity. Many times our parents had to sacrifice things they wanted and put the needs of their families before theirs. Sometimes it meant holding off on a purchase of something so our children would have shoes or new clothes for school. But I think the biggest character building method we have is when we accept Jesus into our hearts. I think no matter where you come from or what you have been through - Jesus alone will make the biggest difference in who you really are. People living in the projects, homeless, people with little education or families who have walked out on you - the world offers us little hope - stay down too long and the world will walk all over you. Jesus came to change all that. He came to give you hope - to encourage you - to raise you above the problems you struggle with and the circumstances you face today - With Jesus all things are possible.

I want to share a special moment with you this morning as I look back at this time last year. My mom who was near the end of her life here on earth was in the last stage of her life before she left for heaven was in her own way saying goodbye to everyone. A few months before our Pastor at church preached an awesome message that morning - He called me to the front of the church in front of everyone - told the congregation about my mom and my family - how mom came to know Jesus just a few months before - He had many who knew me, the church staff and my close friends come to the front and laid hands on me as he led us in prayer for my mom. Asking Jesus to give her comfort and peace - understanding for the family and thank Him for my mom - her acceptance into heaven if that is the will that He was accomplishing. I have never cried in front of so many people in my life. It was an emotional service to say the least. I had that service on my ipod - that Saturday night with my mom in her room - my uncles, my aunts, my grandma and I all sat and listened to this sermon - the music and the prayer afterwards. I had been waiting on the right time to share this message with mom and my family. God provided me the right timing - there was not a dry eye in the room. My aunts and uncles asking me afterwards who my pastor was and where I went to church. Do you have a website - Comments of I wish my church was that awesome, where do I find a church like that were just some of the comments. I remember mom looking over at me when the prayer ended - for Jimmy praying for her and lifting her name to Jesus - she said "Randy" - "I love Pastor Jimmy". I said mom, "I know, he loves you too". It was that evening that she shared with me the story of "The Tissue". What it meant to her - why it was so important! God was using her at that moment to shape her character. To shape other characters in you and in me. He was using her to provide a way for others to see that Jesus loves you - She left her "Salvation Tissue" as a reminder that it was very important for others to see and know Jesus. She had left us something more special and more important than anything else she could have left us. Jesus was at work that evening - I am thankful that God opened the doors for me to be able to "see" - Him at work - and not about what was earthly happening around us. I am so proud of my mom - for her character through life - for her courage, her smile and the love of Jesus right up until the time He called for her.
That morning as those of us gathered to be at the house as they carried her earthly body out - I think every bird in the county was there that morning - sitting in the trees, the branches the bushes on the ground - and they all began to sing their song - in honor of an awesome lady. Who put you before herself - your problems were her problems and the love she had for you was always amazing. Imagine with me the love that Jesus has for you..... we cant even compare the love that Jesus has for us. Mom may not be earthly with us today - but she is alive and well. Thank You Jesus for giving us the path to a heavenly home. Stop sitting on the fence, stop waiting to get it all right and in worked out - stop sitting in the place you find yourself today - pick up your mat and walk loved ones. Jesus is waiting with open arms - with a love you will only know by accepting it. Your character is worth - EVERYTHING

I love you all -
In Christ,
Randy~

2 Peter 3:
The Day of the Lord
1Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking. 2I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.[a]
11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[b]That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
14So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
17Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. 18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

No comments: