Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What matters most....

I have been excited all week to have lunch with a child that came to see me at church this past Sunday. I have had to hold off until today to go and have lunch with this class because I didn't want to push things (I normally go on Fridays but how was I to wait till then when I wanted to go Monday?) and I wanted time to pray just a bit more for this child and her family. See I have been going to see a few of "MyKids" at this school for lunch since the beginning of the year. One day a week and will continue to do so until the end of the year. Sad time for me~ But as always I get to know many of the kids in their class as well as other kids in the hallways, the teachers and lunch folks. This year this is my special class. I love going and spending time with them. Out of all the kids I get to have lunch with, there are only 2 classes that I get to actually sit with the kids and this is one of them. I get to be on their level and talk about what is going on in their lives, their struggles, sports they play and all - you can see which kids have it hard at home, maybe a parent missing or money struggles - I mean a lot comes through a child by the way they handle themselves or how they smile or don't smile. Since the beginning of the year this teacher has given me room and makes me feel very comfortable with them and I am very grateful for that. It does mean the world to me that I am allowed to invest in these children and earn my "Uncle Lonnie" nickname to almost all of the kids.
I pray every time before entering the school that what I am doing is honoring to God and that He blesses this time. Today was no different. My visitor was very excited to see me and told me that she and her mom enjoyed church this past Sunday. She wanted to know which service I was going to be at this Sunday and I told her that me and Miss Carol were teaching k4-5 and I hoped that she would be there. I told her I wanted to talk a little with her mom and it seemed like we were rushed last Sunday because they came in a little late and they probably didn't have the special visitor greeting like we do at church on Sundays. I am just blown away today with excitement for her and knowing that this special class I have 5 kids now all coming to church- all in Sunday school that Carol and I get to mold and invest in them almost each Sunday as their parents get to listen to a message that is from God in the service. That is exciting and their is nothing like it!!!

I am just all fired up today and I am feeling so blessed - blessed beyond anything I could have ever imagined that God would be using me like this. There is so much meaning in life when you put others ahead of yourself. I mean as a church we are called to be Disciples. We are called to be the church that Jesus has given us instructions for and if we are too focused on ourselves how can we accomplish this? I mean really???? Are you too focused on your problems, are you too focused on your situations and struggles - When you put the needs of others in front of yours - that is when you have crossed the line and being the church and the Disciple that God has planned. That sweet spot is where amazing things happen and where God really uses normal, messed up, screwed up and common folks like us.

Make a difference in someones life and be an encourager to them - be passionate about that. It will matter 100 years from now...... and that is something to pass down - that you made a difference and you stood strong for Jesus. Its what matter most...

Love you all,
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing a GREAT job by hanging out with kids at school. Some never have anyone come eat with them and it does make them feel special.

After hearing Travis' message on Sunday I think you are "BOB" to the students and the residents of the Heritage.

You encourage me to do more!