Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reed Gold Mine from the eyes of a 4th grader

What a great day! It was cold this morning but we all did well with our southern blood :)
Got to school this morning early after our great friends Barbara and her daughter Madison got to the house. We packed all the lunches and drinks for the kids and got a good 20 hugs and high fives - kids were very excited! Reed Gold mine is the first place in America that gold was discovered - even before California. Its a great place and it almost all free - except for panning for Gold. I got to help many of the kids swirl their pan around - none of which found gold in their pan but Kyle was the lucky man - not only with finding a spec of gold but also in having such great friends! We then walked and panned for gems and met some great folks from Jim's Gem and Mine. They were a hoot and knew allot about rocks and gems and shark teeth!
We got to see the Cabarrus K-9 unit in action with fake gun shots and robbers being attacked by the dogs. The dogs showed off their skills in finding drugs and their obedience skills. Really amazing since I have 2 dogs and unless I have a pizza crust in my hand I cant get them to do anything!
Anyways - it was great seeing some parents from last year - getting hugs and getting a chance to hang with some of "MyKids" from last year. What a great bunch of kids from 3rd grade and I have felt all year just a little held back in 4th grade by not being able to spend much time with them this year but today I dont feel that way. It was great being on their level and spending time investing in them and listening to them. I did have a chance to walk with Kyles teacher today and it was such a nice conversation and I thanked her for allowing me to walk along side so many kids in her class... they are all very special and they want someone to listen, to care and smile at life.
Tonight when we got home I got the chance to drop off a bike to one of "MyKids" and the smile - the hugs and the THANK YOU's were priceless. Nothing like making a small difference in someones life, like a bike, and seeing them riding and smiling - dang its such a blessing..... I pray for those first driving lessons..... I pray mom is ok with me doing that too~

Funny thing is - God did not bless me with my own daughter - even though I always thought I would have a daughter but God has blessed me with many daughters.....and for that I am so very honored and blessed to have these kids in my life.

Love you all...... looking forward to tomorrow- Work and 3rd grade lunch duty :)
Lonnie~

No comments: