Thursday, April 3, 2008

The support system ...

The last month or so - I have been asked by a few folks and by a few kids if our small (Rock) group was open to new folks. I am excited about that because I know that people are seeing and wanting to be plugged into a network of friends and support. I know the value of this support system and wonder what did we do before when life was hard and we needed spiritual friends around us when we are hurting and need to be around folks who love us? I can't even imagine now .......
I can name 3 families right now who I would invite to come - how would I fit them into the house? What would we do with the children when we are already struggling with the ones we have with giving them some biblical guidance when they are at Rock Group? - how can we make this time a place to learn for them as well? How do we keep the group small and intimate when we have so many people? How can we keep 1.5 hours each week focused and learning and not what most small groups eventually do that meet? ~ a social hour where folks get together and eat.
I am determined to have a group that gets together to learn and to pray together - to do real life together - even if it means I am working hard on handouts, video clips, a study to study from and also having fun while we are doing all this!
Can I invite these folks that others have asked me about and also the families that I have on my heart to plug in for a trial bases? How long is a trial? Can I invite them during our time together or a seperate time? How would that work? After the trial period - what then? Who could I place them with and would they be happy and open to that change and feel connected and wanted?
This is what I have been struggling with the last few weeks especially - because I know the value of a rock group - a group that meets every week and has a purpose and a need to have a support system and where people make it their priority to be there and carve out of other things pulling them away - like family time, TV, sports and eating out ...the list is endless!
I was told yesterday that one of "MyKids" in our rock group had some family visiting from out of town. Her mom let her stay and play with her cousins thus missing rock group which they very rarely ever do! (Proud of them!) and when it was time to go home, she asked if we were going to Rock Group Sunday night. It was already past the time and late - but she still wanted to go! She was upset and started crying .... that is value and something special! That is changing a life on Sunday - meeting an hour at a time - having other kids there who she values as brothers and sisters!
I want to see more folks connected into a support system where a person can stand and know that close and loving friends have their back - where there are folks who are willing at a phone call away to help with your kids or in an emergency no matter the time of day or night - where they can come and bring their issues and problems and get real answers and prayers - where they get built up instead of wripped apart - where they will be held accountable in a loving way for their choices and decisions in life - where folks will call and check on you and wish you happy birthday when family and others have forgotten - where you can have a family who loves you deeply when your real blood line family is 1000 miles away.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two men can stand back-to-back and conquer.
The writer of Ecclesiastes paints a depressing picture of a man who strives to gain the whole world alone, and then asks himself, "Who am I working for? Why am I giving up so much pleasure now?" He concludes, "It is all so meaningless and depressing". How much better it is to go through life with a strong network of support. When you share your trials and triumphs with others, you soon realize that you're not alone. And somehow, when we stand together, life's challenges don't seem so daunting anymore.

My prayer today - Lord, what shall you have me do with what you have placed on my heart? amen

:To my rock group folks ... I love you all more than I have words for. You all rock and we are all blessed to be doing this life together. Love you all,

Lonnie~

No comments: