Thursday, April 10, 2008

I did it .....but why?

I am still asking myself that question today - Why?

But I think I have an answer. Yesterday I took the challenge of fasting. I remember a kid who used to work for me years ago - he fasted every Wednesday and spoke good things about it - discipline and for God - I just thought he was nuts but it still to this day makes me have questions about it. It mentions in the Bible in many different places that people used to fast all the time but I don't really see it these days. I wanted to know more about it and why it was so important to God to be put in the Bible.

Other than for health reasons, giving our bodies a break from eating and simplifying our food intake to water and just a few pieces of fruit for a day which from what I have read is a good thing to do once in awhile. I have to say that I felt pretty good yesterday all the way through. I drank like 9 bottles of water when the hunger pains hit - I would suck a bottle of water down. My mind seemed to be focused more on what I was doing and I did have good energy all day. I did not focus too much on food - even had lunch with Kyle and "MyKids" yesterday and had 2 slices of an orange because one of MyKids told me she told her mom that I come in and sit next to her at her lunch and that I really like oranges - so her mom packed me a snack in her lunch! Imagine that ....that just blows me away. It was an unbelievable orange as you can imagine!
Anyways - upon reflecting last night and this morning about how yesterday went - I did notice that I was in prayer more yesterday than I usually am. I mean I asked God for his help to get me through the next hour - to help me with a task here at work- to keep me focused on Him through my day - to provide for "MyKids" and that everything is ok in their homes and families. It has me focused today on Gods blessings in my life and the lives of the folks around me. Many people I know are hurting and are struggling with BIG things. I realize that even during my trials with my mom and through Walt - those were some deep and dark places - TOUGH places with many tears and emotions but a comfort through those things like I have never experienced before. I know Carol feels this as well having that comfort in such a hard painful experience - it could have only come from God. I realize that those struggles could have been so much harder and tougher on me but also my family. I am the spiritual leader as all dads should be to their families and if the spiritual leader is floundering so will those around him. I am not saying that fasting will bring some sort of in site to life and Gods ways - I am just saying its a discipline that puts our hearts and minds in focus. We are giving up something so we remove the distractions and gain some focus. God still has his mystery about Him because He has given us enough of what we need to know for this life - He could not give us all the answers to our questions because we could never understand it all - We make what we already have HARD ENOUGH!!!
God has given us what we need - we need Him and we need each other. We need to be part of family of others so that we do not have to stand alone or go through tough things alone.

Many times we ask - WHY? Why has God allowed this?- Why am I going through this hard time? I asked that same question when my mom was sick - God Why? Cancer is not part of my family - Mom is so young and with so much to look forward to ... God WHY?
The answer is is not WHY ~ But ~ WHAT - WHAT does God want to teach me through this? What is it that He wants me to understand? I am sure God taught many things to my mom during this time as well as Walt. He taught me many things as well during those times.....
So if we look at our struggles today - loss of a loved one, a job, relationships, money or a car that just wont run, a child that is walking down a hard path in life or some bad decision - we have to ask ourselves not WHY - but WHAT.

What is it that God wants you to learn through this struggle?

I look at the last 2 years walk through my church's building campaign and vision to have a building of our own. Since we kicked that campaign off -we have church family who have walked away, we have also gained church family - we have moved locations and God has put us in a better location (right down from our land)- He has strengthened us as a family and we are reaching more lost folks than ever! - We have more people serving than at any other time - We have a childrens ministry that has kicked it up a few notches - A Middle school and high school ministry that continues to double in size - we have a worship pastor who brings the best and coolest music our church has ever heard - Our Pastor is growing and learning in new ways to lead and preach Gods word- ... God is doing amazing things! Sure a building would have been awesome 2 years ago but God is preparing us for that season in time. He knows best~
He is doing the same thing in your life!
Would I fast again? Honestly it was pretty hard but I feel good that I accomplished what I did and it gave myself the chance to focus a little more on God yesterday. If God nudged me again ..... I won't push the thought that far away again.

Thank you all for the prayers for my cousin Patty. She should be on her way home from the hospital right now. We are looking forward to Madison B tonight with guitar practice and eating out afterwards - also with a great friend and her daughters , whom we all just love!

Romans 12:9
9 Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection,[e] and take delight in honoring each other. 11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.[f] 12 Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. 13 When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

With Love,
Lonnie~

No comments: