Monday, April 14, 2008

Making a difference?

Ok I got the lawn cut tonight - I am pressed for time and the schedule just keeps going so I even cut the grass in the drizzle. But as I walked back and forth its a good time to think.
So here are a few thoughts ...

There are 2 churches that I drive by on my way to work. I often think about what kind of churches they are, their style of services and the message that is preached in their walls, what kind of folks come and what are they like? I see a sign out front - I just dont like church signs because they turn unchurched people away in my opinion - and I often wonder how are people coming to that particular church. I mean are they like an island or are they really working hard in the community and reaching lost people for Jesus right in their community? Both of these churches were here long before the subdivisions showed up and I wonder are they making an impact in those subdivisions? ....

So here is my thought - what would happen if those churches closed? Would the community still thrive? Would there be any difference? Would the community recover or even notice?
What is happening at those churches that are worth talking about? What is it that they are doing in the community to cause a BUZZ?
When people leave your church services, are they thinking about the e-mails they need to send and the football game they want to watch—or are they thinking deeply about their own choices and thinking how they might make a difference in someone's life this week? Are they walking out with a heavy heart knowing they can do more and really make a difference? Are the fathers leading their families?

Wouldn't it be great if all churches made lasting community impact in the lives of their communities? Folks following Jesus and being BOLD for JESUS by sharing His word and living by His example?
I believe that if Jesus were physically here in 2008, he would come just like he came last time - right into the community where people live. Changing lives as he went from community to community. He immersed himself into the culture of the day and 2008 is no different than 2000 years ago - it might just look different. He would use today's examples to relate to people and teach in parables we could understand just like he did 2000 years ago in that culture.

Our local communities are dying without Jesus, our families are dying without Jesus and its our duty to not let that happen.

So if your church closed their doors, how would it affect your local community?

And I didn't even finish cutting the grass.......
Lonnie~

No comments: