Thursday, August 13, 2009

Teen Language....

Is often spoken without words and is often spoken in actions. They are hard to interpret sometimes but the language is clear but often times overlooked.
I am very blessed to have so many kids on my heart. Yes it is work, time consuming and sometimes difficult - but the long term rewards will hopefully be worth it.
My thoughts come today from "MyKids". This goes to all of those kids I am investing in, walking with and listening with. We (I) need to be authentically available to our young people. If they sense that you're truly available to them, care about them and truly a friend to them, then I think they can get through ANYTHING. It's when they are isolated and alone that they run the greatest risk of getting and being hurt.
With that said, I have to say that I am very blessed to have permission from many parents to have the trust in them with their children. That is a high honor in my opinion and there is no greater responsibility to honor than their trust. I love these students and want to pour as much as I can into them and by doing so - I am pouring into their families as well. Our kids need a avenue to be heard because they have a LOT to say. Often times as parents we become too busy and involved in life to not take the time to listen to our kids.
I serve hard because it is that important to me. I serve with all my heart because God has placed these students on my heart and in many cases - it breaks my heart. When something breaks your heart that much, we have nothing else to do but to get involved. Its sometimes a slow process to get close and have the trust level get to the point where true meaningful conversation develops. This is the zone where progress is made and change begins to happen. Focusing on God during these times and pointing struggles to our heavenly father is most important. We work so hard in life to be independent of each other and do our own thing but God has not made us that way. So by doing so, we are wandering in the wilderness. God wants us to be dependant. Dependant on each other and on Him. Alone, afraid and no one to talk to is where the most damage is done.
"MyKids" - they make up so much of who I am today. I will keep giving my time, my ears and my heart for as long as they need me. Our kids today face so much at every turn they make.... who is pointing them the way? Who is walking with them? Who is pointing them to their heavenly father who wants nothing more than to hear from them and be a part of their lives.....
I will~
Matthew 25:40"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
A small side story worth sharing: Last night a few of "MyKids" and I went to the senior home and visited some of our seniors in the nursing home. A few stuffed animals were given out and one resident - Mary - was just about in tears with excitement. She made me promise to come back again and visit. I think that is in order...... what a blessing it is when we get out of our comfort zones and be the practical love of Jesus.
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Greg Kesterson said...

Awesome...Appreciate ya Lonnie!