Thursday, August 27, 2009

Influence..... is tough

Influence as defined from Dictionary.com = the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others.

Influence is pretty powerful stuff. It affects adults as well as our children. It can be positive but can also be negative. We really have to be careful in our lives to what influences us ... what speaks to our hearts, what speaks to our minds and moves us in our actions. The road ahead could have dangerous curves.

These magazines that the young girls are reading today- it just upsets me. Their message, I can see it in reaching into the minds and hearts of our kids - especially those close to me. I have had conversations about it. What the magazines and society say what they are supposed to look like, how thin, hair color, makeup, dating ... its all there as sound advice right? but is it?
As I step further and further into this role being a youth leader - I am taking this more and more serious and sometimes I just get panic stricken to what influences our kids are under.
So what can I, what can we do about it? Scream, get mad, blame others, complain or shall we take a stand and talk with our kids - model to them with our actions, preach to them what God says on the subject and what He thinks about them? - I don't think that is happening enough today. I recently made a comment to one of my peers in our youth program at church that I thought we were from the same mold. Almost all the time we are encouraging someone, posting a positive note on a facebook page or making ourselves available to listen or talk with. Listening is key - where do we learn this skill? Its not taught in school really or at home ... but its VITAL to communicating properly. If we are talking all the time - we are not listening and often times missing important instructions or details.
So what can we do? I fully believe we can still make a difference.
We need to 1. pray for each other. We need to pray to remove the distractions in our lives that keep us unfocused. Even if you are grown and excuses get in the way to not come to church on Sundays - I am praying those distractions will not get in the way. We need to pray for our children's distractions ... their influences like their friends, the music that is so important to them and their relationships with their parents. Parents we have to step up and get involved - otherwise society will take on that leadership role in their lives - even if that means blocking MTV or some other avenue from the home. 2. As I am trying to do all the times is reflect a practical principle in life or in that struggle that God has something to say about it. We need the God wow factor to play a part in the solutions. God does have a lot to say about our influences - He is the master influencer! 3. Get involved. If a friend knows we truly care and love them ... they will be more open to us and respond. As I look around at the kids in my life - they know how I feel about them - they know I want to pour into them. I have their interest and their hearts on my heart. It is what God called me to do! As parents - its what you are called to do for your children. 4. I know I can't do this alone and there are times I am sure mykids need someone else to talk to. I am thankful for the other leaders and other parents who are involved to be there for them. A friend needs a friend. Therapist folks have couches that are full just for this reason - someone to talk to, someone to unload on and someone to trust in.
As parents, as the church, and as leaders we need to partner together to make a lasting difference. Great influences...... for long term positive results.

In closing comes from Ephesians 6 today.
A Fight to the Finish
10-12 God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
13-18Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

No comments: