Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dragging....

I guess the day after the 1st day of school is not so exciting. Only 1 text this morning from one of my special kids .... loved hearing from her though early on and her saying well, the fun is over. Had to text back some encouragement this morning :)
I may be needing a little shot in the arm this afternoon as well. I was awake from 1-3 AM this morning. Tossing here and rolling there.... its time spent in deep thought and in prayer. This morning Ephesians was on my heart to in my quiet time this morning - I turned to it.
Ephesians 6 really stuck out to me spoke into me.
Children and Parents
1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."[a] 4Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
I love what it says here - which is the first commandment with a promise - "that it may go well with you" - what that is saying is kids - young people - listen to your parents or those that have influence and guidance over you. (teachers, aunts, uncles, trusted friends, youth pastors) They love you and won't steer you down the wrong road. In many cases - as parents - we want more and better for our children than we had it at their age. Today that mostly means stuff.... because our generation did not have much stuff. I think in many regards our children are stuff rich and relationship poor. They talk behind the keyboard, they text their 118 friends instead of talking, they type on blogs, myspace and facebook things they would never say or do in person. They have this image of something they are not ....I often times wonder if they are better than when we had it?!?
My time is important and recently it seems to be in shorter and shorter supply. In order to do something - it usually means trading off or making priorities of what is more important. I am good with that since most times our lives are bogged down in the details and time wasters and leaves little time for the important things. My focus has really been hammering down on the eternal investments.... family, my marriage, people, relationships, church, serving, and MyKids.
I am looking forward to a few things coming down the road ... scared to death concerning a few others but in total confidence that God is in all of that and that is where it needs to be.
Got to press on .............

No comments: