Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday thoughts....

I have had some extra energy this week to pour into the lives of some people around me and some of the kids around me. I am thankful and very blessed to be able to do such. I am not sure why I have this little extra kick, especially since it has rained here for like a week and that alone affects poeple's mood and energy levels. I guess maybe because I can see and feel that my time, energy and passion for people is making small differences.
The last few years I have poured many many hours into the "behind the scenes" at church. Maybe this was my role and Gods way of building me as a leader or opening my eyes to clear the fog of this world so that I can see with His eyes and see what is in His heart. I have put in these hours each week, have given up family time, personal time, sleep, just to name a few things because I have experienced the grace of God and deep in my heart I know how much that He loves me. I can only comprehend a small amount of that love but in my limited capacity - I understand. It was a big step to move from the chairs on Sunday mornings and step into being involved. It was a move at a time in life where I was searching and looking for purpose and meaning in life. I know some people who are at that stage right now - searching, wondering, seeking, exploring - is this it? What is my purpose? I know I am supposed to be leading my family but how? 1 more beer.... relationships crumbling, job crumbling ... identity crumbling - life is in the toilet and is circling like the buzzards. - Dude - I was there. Life just didn't seem to have meaning or any purpose. At times, I felt 23, acted 19 ... full knowing I needed to grow up - needed to quit using people. I needed to lead, I needed to raise my family, I needed to _____ - you fill in the blank.
Sunday mornings are my time to give back. I understand by Gods saving grace. I am serving to make a place for you. A place where, like me, experienced Jesus. His love for me, His direction for me, His purposes for me. There was so much to learn once I moved out of my seat and took that first step. If God would have given me the 2 year plan for my life - I would have fainted. I would have been scared silly. I wouldn't have taken the next step. Life had to change and I was ready, emotionally, spiritually and physically ready for what God had next. He gives those next steps one at a time. Take the next step and God reveals the next one.
If He told me in 2 years, I would be a ministry team leader, being the spiritual leader of my family, leading a Rock Group, leading in Sunday School for k-5 kids, serving our church k-5 kids by having lunch with them in the schools and being a so called "Life Coach" for them to keep them focused and encouraged, and really loving people like I have never loved before --- I wouldn't be where I am today. If you are looking at me like a holy roller and someone who has it all together and that this is as close as we can get as friends - think again. I too am learning, waiting on God for His next step for me .... just like you. I am not closer to God than you are right now. I am just in a different place ... but still no closer.
Sunday we will have a place for you to come and have a chance to experience Jesus. It will take some time away from your Sunday, it will take some courage to come through the doors, it may make you feel like a failure and that there is NO WAY I can get everything straight in my life with all that is messed up right now, you may be coming because your son or daughter keeps bugging you or your wife our husband has finally said it enough times to come to church that you are SICK of hearing about it .... deep down you know they are right. Take that step!!!!!
I have seen God getting hold of some people the last few weeks especially with people crying during the music and during the message - I can see the smiles and difference in your children because they feel it the most. They see you stepping out in faith, trusting and taking a small step forward. It is those Sunday's that are especially sweet for me.
Stay plugged in now. Your old self must pass away and you have to do a few additional things now. You are part of Gods family and with that comes a higher standard. People will look at you and compare you - judge you and surely they will be watching you. You are different now - society tells us and our children to be this and that - to act this way..... Surround yourself with people who will keep you motivated, encouraged and are willing to help, roll up their sleeves and dig into life with you. This is the small group concept... here to do life with you no matter what life throws at you. Read Gods word and stay connected in what He is telling you and instructing you. Come to church on Sundays - there is a LOT to soak in when you are on the Sunday to Sunday plan - God is there all week how come you are not? - Make it Sunday mornings - this might mean sacrifices.
PRAY - prayer does work. Heartfelt, honest, gut wretching, pour it all there and tell God your struggles, worries and the place you are at today. Our heavenly father wants to know. He wants to hear from you. He wants more than anything for you to take that next step. A solid next step.
Hope to see you Sunday~
Proverbs 24:
13-14 Eat honey, dear child—it's good for you— and delicacies that melt in your mouth.Likewise knowledge, and wisdom for your soul—Get that and your future's secured, your hope is on solid rock. 15-16 Don't interfere with good people's lives; don't try to get the best of them.No matter how many times you trip them up, God-loyal people don't stay down long;Soon they're up on their feet, while the wicked end up flat on their faces.

In Christ,
Lonnie~

No comments: