Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Its all in the image.....

Reflection - Dictionary.com defines it as: an image; representation; counterpart. A fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration. We have to be careful what we reflect - our actions and the things we say ... people might take them and turn them around or take them wrongly. Proverbs 27:19 As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.

Last night Carol, Kyle and I took some dear folks to a local place to get supper and hang out a bit. It was fun and a good change of routine for us old folks :) - but it is a local hangout for the 20 somethings here near the university. So, I am thinking that our neice was looking for a packed, action filled evening with lots of people and music. Something she is short on in small town USA. It is more my speed and Carol and I have always been found of the little quiet places with good atmoshpere over the jumping loud crowd. Last night we noticed something taking shape in one of the alcoves ... people were starting to gather. They were putting name tags on, they were coming in by themselves and greeting one another. After a good 25 or so people showed up - they pulled the curtain for privacy. I did not notice any food or beer being served but it was early on and the waitress was taking care of the party. My neice just had to know what was going on. Speed dating, single hookups, book club, hockey game coming on soon, - we wanted to know. SO, I did the adult thing and called our waiter over and asked. Seems, this is a theology club that meets once in awhile and as the waiter told us - they meet, they get drunk and talk about Jesus and stuff. I was thinking .... wow... that is really messed up. YES, keep that curtain closed! I couldn't help but to think about the folks in that bar that don't know Jesus and who need Jesus and wonder what they might think about it. Its the wrong reflection.... people get the wrong interpretation. Yes I am not against having an adult beverage from time to time ... the Bible is clear on such things but I am concerned with what they reflect in public and doing more harm than good. Yes, churches can meet in bars, strip clubs, conference rooms and where people are in life - church is not about buildings but about people. Now maybe there was no alcohol at that meeting and our waiter was looking for a better tip by being funny ... I don't know but it does have me thinking.
What are we reflecting to others as we follow Christ? So many people think that once they accept Jesus that things are going to be just peachy and that things will always work out. That is just not true and couldn't be further from the truth. We do experience tough things, we do go through trials and we do struggle with things - we continue to struggle with things - we are sinful like everyone else and accepting Jesus doesn't change that. What should reflect as followers of Jesus is not the struggle itself but how we go through it. Are we really trusting God through those tough places in our lives? People are watching and they are judging .... they are grading you! No matter what is going on in our lives we have to reflect the love that God has for us. We are HIS loved ones.... that alone is bigger than anything we are going through. He is there with us in those trials and seasons. Our difference in those struggles is not when they will be over but how long we stay down! That is what we should be reflecting. We are different and the things of this world should not keep our focus and attention. God knows our next steps ... our next 30 steps and 55 steps before we even make them.
The last 2 days I have been really struggling with my back. I have no idea what I did - I had a problem 2 years ago and it has been good since. I have heard of this fire pain shooting down one leg and yes ... I can say now ... I know what that feels like. I am making it though and even as I smashed my head this morning in the parking deck getting my lunch and bag out of the truck because I can't bend ... I have to smile. I have to suck it up and continue to reflect the love that God has given me even when I don't feel like it. I went to the schools today to have lunch with some of "MyKids". Knowing this might be my last lunch with them for the year and have fully enjoyed investing in the kids... I told one of the teachers that today would probably be my last day since I am booked solid next week and school is only like 10 days away ...she said nope - won't work... she is emailing me what I need to go to as well as an invite to come back next year. She knows my motive for being there - she sees the students respond and she has seen my reflection. God gets the glory for me being there... He has called me to this and to invest in these students. He has made the way for me to be there.... and I believe that it is making a difference.
What are you reflecting today? As a parent are you reflecting what a dad or mom should be to your children? They will reflect when they get older what you are reflecting today........
Are you treating people with love and kindness? Is that cross on your neck just for jewelry or does it really mean something to you?
Proverbs 27:
11 Become wise, dear child, and make me happy; then nothing the world throws my way will upset me. Your Face Mirrors Your Heart 17 You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another.

In Gods grace,
Lonnie~

No comments: