Friday, August 8, 2008

8-8-08

Its finally here. The opening ceremony of the Olympics. Its always a great time watching the athletes compete over the next 2 weeks.... Carol and I especially like watching the gymnastics and the other hyped up sports but all of them are important and each athlete should be proud of themselves, proud of their countries and proud to be standing and representing there sport in which they worked so hard for.
Many of you may not know but the Olympic dream was very much a part of me when I was a teenager. Long ago in 1980-1984 time frame - I had the Olympic dream that I was chasing in Judo. It was something I was working very hard for - something my mom and dad went to great extremes to provide this path in life. Many vacations around the country wrapped around a competition somewhere. Practice almost every day - working out sometimes 2 -3 times a day. Everything in life was focused around it and there is not a moment, looking back, that I would have traded in for it. I loved those memories - even though some mornings I am hurting.... because it does take a toll on your body putting yourself through such vigorous training. I know the sweat, blood and tears that it takes to make it at the level the Olympic hopefuls are at.
I hope they enjoy each and every moment of this experience. Win or lose - doesnt really matter. For a few moments, a few moves, a few spot lights, a few minutes - they will be center stage.
It is awesome for the world to come together like this... even with all the differences. We are all different but yet the same. Now that I am a parent - their parents also get to share in all that glory that their sons and daughters are enjoying.
I remember my first East Coast Judo Championship - It was held in Metuchen NJ at the local high school there. The trophy I won for 1st place was bigger than I was. My dad had to work that day and I remember carrying that trophy into his place of work with my mom and brother along side of me. I just remember how proud they were of me. There were many memories just like that.
We should all take a moment tonight and be proud of our Olympic Athletes - from every country. Looking forward to it...even if it is happening right now since China is 12 hours ahead of us....
What sports will you be watching? ... for me it will be Gymnastics, diving, swimming, and Judo even if Judo is on at 3:30 in the morning.
Let me know........
lrbatema@gmail.com

Lonnie~

No comments: