Friday, July 18, 2008

The little things......



Isn't so true that the little things add up to big things? I wanted to take a moment this morning and just share my son Kyle a little. He is an amazing young man. He has so many awesome little qualities about him that in the big things - he is just awesome. If you are a friend of Kyle's - you know you have a true friend. A friend who cares about you and wants only the best things for you. He is interested in your character and not what you give him or what he gives you. Kyle loves many different kinds of people and if you are in his inner circle like many are - its a good place to be. I got an email this morning from one of his teachers that is running his Nature camp and she told me that Kyle is such a wonderful person and how when she had children she would want a child like Kyle. What a great compliment and its something I don't take lightly. Far too many parents do not put their children on their schedules - they have to fit them into their lives and time - work is their priority or some other god that they are serving. Kyle serves God in church and every Sunday he asks if I need help in breakdown. He knows serving others is pleasing to the Lord and Carol and I by serving God also - we provide examples and opportunities for him to see this and experience this first hand. Our schedule next week should allow us to get back over to the Heritage (nursing home) where Walt stayed while he was here and spend some time with the folks there. We do miss them as we have become friends with a good handful of folks. I am especially excited to see Mr. Houston and Mary again - Margaret and Ben. Kyle is not afraid of being around the older generation nor is he afraid to be with the young ones either. He was such a big brother the other evening while out with our friends to supper. Kyle has been through a lot as a young little man - losing his Grandma's and one grandpa - family living far enough away that he does not see them often enough. He has experienced those pains in life that some adults can't get over but he has the love of Jesus in his heart and in so many ways - he looks for the big picture in everything. Loving of all animals, passionate about his friends, always ready to make someone smile and laugh - his nature is just a great kid and is always trying to please.

God has big plans ahead for him and I know as a parent there will be times where I am going to have to let him go - to stretch out a little more - 9 years old is different than 13 years old as is 18 years old. He will get the chance to experience life and the cost of his decisions. I know the teen years are ahead - I am scared of those years because our relationship is more than I ever imagined. But in truth, I know that he is Gods child before he is mine. I will show him the practical love of Jesus throughout my life and how I life my life and pray my face off for him to follow Jesus and not me. God will provide his path because my path is my own ... all I can do is coach him, love him no matter what, be patient with him always and let God handle the rest.

Kyle I love you buddy ... Mom and I are very proud of you. You led your grandpa to salvation - something nobody but you and God could have done. You have great things ahead in life and we love you. Proud the Jesus is shining in you for others to see.... keep that walk in life and your paths will be more than you could have ever imagined.

Little things do add up to big things........ you'll never be too old for you to sit in my chair with me and talk about whats going on in your life. God pulls us close and listens..... if we just take the time to talk.

Praying that as parents, we take the time to sit and listen to our children, to get involved in their lives and guide them in truth and by example. Love on the children you have responsibility for, your sunday school kids, your childs friends, family....etc...treat them as your own... and lead them all by example. What you do, what you say and how you treat others is being watched.... I pray I am the example I need to be and may they see Jesus through me.

Have a great Friday everyone.

Lonnie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My little man is so awesome..! How blessed am I as a Mom to have such a wonderful, compassionate, caring, God-loving son. And for those who know Kyle - you know I am just not exaggerating...! I truely thank God every day for the blessing he has given me in Kyle..!

Love Mom