Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An eventful evening...

Yesterday during a way back home from eating out, Kyle told me he missed going to the Heritage. This is the nursing home that Walt stayed at during his rehab time before he passed last February. So tonight after supper and dropping some supplies off at the church office for our Water Fun day tomorrow at 6:30 - we headed over. We were both excited to see some folks we became friends with a few months back. We have not been there in some time since it has been such a busy summer and all. We first got to see Mary. She is in her 90's and a piece of work. Such a warm smile and loving heart. She goes to church every Sunday with family coming to pick her up. Her husband passed away over 60 years ago and has never remarried or dated anyone since then. She looks forward to seeing her husband again but until then she is living her life just as happy as anyone I know. We also got to see Miss Lizzie - she is the wonderful lady who calls Kyle Banjo. She cannot talk but she understand what we are saying. She was SO excited to see us and was mumbling 100 miles an hour and smiling big time. I wonder when the last time she smiled? Ben our buddy from Mt Airy was there and doing well. Mr. Houston is still there and is as sharp as always. He is Mr. Harrisburg and has lived her his entire life. Want some history of Harrisburg- he is your man. Carol and I want to film him and ask him questions about his past - the past of Harrisburg and the old days. We could listen to him talk for hours.... I think he could talk for hours :)
We also found out that Margaret has passed away and that is such a sad thing. She was a younger woman who was suffering from dimensia. Such a shame losing your thoughts and thinking abilities. She was a bright spot when visiting with her.

After we left and got back in the E - Kyle told me he loved going over there and making the older people smile. He is not afraid of them and that says something especially for a 10 year old boy. I think I would have been scared to death if my parents took me to a place like that when I was 10. After we got home we had a knock on the door. Little Amanda was here and we have not seen her all summer. We got to share some laughs, catch up on her summer in California and also sent her home with a bag of fresh Bateman Organic tomatoes and peppers. She was excited....

I am looking forward to water day tomorrow. I have invited 3 extra kids to bring along but only 2 have told me they ARE coming no matter what. Hope the weather holds out because this is going to be fun..... more on that tomorrow night.
Well, being a single dad this week - I am hitting it early. WORN out today ... I just dont know how single parents do it.... I am amazed that ANYTHING at all gets done..... I have changed my underwear and showered - thats a good thing in case you were wondering and we haven't run out of milk and cereal :)
Love you all,
Lonnie~

No comments: