Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Anticipation...

Anticipation - from Dictionary.com

1. the act of anticipating or the state of being anticipated. 2. realization in advance; foretaste.
3. expectation or hope. 4. previous notion; slight previous impression.

The last few days (especially) I have been praying hard for our youth ministry kids and parents at their beach trip. I am just building with excitement for these kids - for the adults who are there. I am anticipating big time God moving in our church this coming Sunday. I got news that we are having a baptism as well and maybe some of those kids who are at camp this week will show their faith this Sunday. I can't wait to sit down with some of the really close kids that I know and find out how their week was. What did God do in their life this week? What did they learn from Him and did they see God in a new and exciting way.
For me, I serve many Sunday mornings with setup and Sundays are the busiest day of the week for my family and I. Its a sacrifice we are willing to make and stand fully commited to being part of this family as we serve God and each other to reach people for Him. That excitement and anticipation is usually at peak levels when we are praying as a family and as one before our morning service. I know there will be folks coming through those doors who need Jesus - who are at the end of the rope and have found dead ends in life with material things. They need answers - they need change - they need purpose and they need to be loved and not judged - they need to be part of something much bigger than themselves and they need their children to know about Jesus. There are some who come who don't want to be there and maybe tired of being asked from a friend or family member to go with them - this is their first taste of church maybe ever or maybe in a VERY long time.
Everything has to work right - lights, band, music, greeters, smiles, coffee, friendly faces, childrens areas - so many things make up the decision to come back. Everything for them is on the line.... the eternity line is hanging in front of them. Why don't they just grab hold?
God is not that far away - His schedule is free for you to come and sit with Him.

My niece Katie is with us this week. I fully enjoyed our morning conversation this morning over coffee. She is smart and a great kid. She has been through a lot in life. I am very proud of her and pray for her daily - for good decisions and for that time that one day she will sit and get on Gods schedule.
For many this week - camp is part of that change. My anticipation is high and I am really looking forward to a charged service this Sunday - not a tired one full of tired folks and glad to be home after a week away folks- I am anticipating some energy and a "Bring It" attitude. I am praying that this is the service for Katie and many others ... to come away with a clearer vision, a tug at the heart and a little more understanding - a feeling that will not go away.
Just like that first time visitor who comes through the door looking for something so close and so real......
Anticipation - expection and hope.
Only through Jesus~

Lonnie

No comments: