Monday, July 14, 2008

Jazzed

And its not from the coffee... even though Carol makes some strong coffee. Honest - there have been times over the years where we have talked about having 2 coffee makers. One for her mud and the other for just normal coffee. I know she has to make 2 pots though in the mornings (lol) one for me being normal and then a kicker for her after I leave for work.
But this is not a post about coffee - even though it could be~ but I am still jazzed about yesterday. Still jazzed about Rock Group last night and just a few of our long term families sitting and planning ... talking about the future of our group and our "Outreach" for this summer and long term. It has me thinking late last night that even at 11:00 I was still up.

Change is a place that makes many people uncomfortable. But God sees change as an opportunity. God was speaking that word "Opportunity" to me a few weeks back. Being in Tupper Lake NY - far from home. Long hours working and cleaning up a home that has meant so much to my family - it was hard throwing items away that meant something. Hard to clean a home out of the material things but one thing will always remain.... memories. It made me want to be home..... it made me really homesick - homesick for home, for family, for church - for serving. Serving is what pleases the Lord - when we serve Him - it truely does please Him as we build His kingdom together. Its a part of my walk in Christ that I try and do everyday. Far too many people are trying to serve people alone. They are missing the point in by SERVING Jesus - we are serving people. Serving in this model also makes those people happy. Pastor Jimmy preached on this topic yesterday. To make a decision in life to follow Jesus or not.
During my small window of quiet time this morning - I am in the book of Luke and it all came together. Let me share the passage that really spoke to me this morning.
Luke 9:
The Cost of Following Jesus
57 As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.”
59 He said to another person, “Come, follow me.”
The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.”
60 But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead![
l] Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.”
61 Another said, “Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.”
62 But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”


This is where it all came together. "Opportunity" - God has given us all the "Opportunity" to follow Him. He has not forced us to do anything - we can love Him and trust Him or we can choose not to. Am I making the most of the "Opportunities" that God is placing before me?
We can't look back on following Jesus - we have to grasp hold of those incredible Opportunities and make the most of them. Being Homesick really meant that I needed to get back to "MyWalk" with God. Even in short periods of time - in those sweet moments that God is using us, speaking to us and teaching us. Those short periods can also go the other way when we are not reading our Bible, too busy with "THINGS" that fills our daily calendars, praying and spending quiet time with the Lord.
With everything that has happened the last few months and being busy and full throttle - being homesick was for me to get back into "MyWalk" and make the most of those "Opportunities" that God is placing before me.
What opportunities are you passing over in life? What is God asking you to do today? Is your schedule too full - are you too busy to even take notice? Are those things going to matter 2 days from now, a year from now or 3 years from now?
Jazzed about being back in Sunday school yesterday with Carol and "OurKids". Seeing them GET IT in Sunday School, smiling and having fun learning about Jesus - singing and dancing to music. Jazzed about the opportunities ahead for our Rock Group .... How can we look back? ~ When we have so much in front of us because of Jesus.... because of the people He has put into our lives .... because of the hope in tomorrow ... because of His grace and love.

Opportunity - what are you going to do with them?

Gods best today ..... planning my 3:00 coffee already :)
Lonnie~

No comments: