Friday, March 14, 2008

Why? Part2

Why? Part 2 ... Last week after my doctors appointment, the question my doctor asked me was if I had any stress in my life?.... I am really struggling with that because I am doing what I know in my heart God is wanting me to do (stress or not). I continue to ask Him what else do I need to do and what can I do better than I am currently doing?... Maybe I am doing too much? Maybe I am not focused in and doing what He wants me to to the best of my abilities? I mean, I think I am doing ok considering I have never done ANY of this before! But I know there is room for improvement.... LOTS OF IT! Plus stress is for other people :) - Earlier this week after a very stressful church Sunday setup... I was really questioning why I was doing what I was doing... Why am I feeling like only a few are marching forward and the rest are just guiding along watching the scenery go by and soaking it all up....

Then came Unleash 2008 - A church conference in Anderson SC held by an awesome church NewSpring. What started as a bible study on the campus of Anderson College has turned out to be something that only God can do in only a few short years. They admit flying by the seat of their pants ---- every one one of them! (just like us) ~over 8000 people in 4 services in a given weekend with 1500 volunteers all serving together doing greeting, parking, stage preperation, lighting, cleaning, band, AV, Internet, Childrens areas - the list go on and on.
I look forward to sharing some of the notes taken here with you as well as with my church leaders and pastors in a more formal way so that we can build on these ideas - not change everything - because we are doing some of those things and some even a little better but to build and tweak what we are doing all working together all under ONE!

I think the biggest thing is VISION. Gods vision to the people, to the volunteers and leading them in such a way that is rewarding and satisfying in what they are doing, all the while trying to keep people from burning out and keeping fed with Gods word.

* The music was awesome! Loud and inviting with the song selections and video selections - Brandon and our band sound just as awesome IMOP - even on a smaller scale! But great nonetheless!
* The stage was setup really cool with a great back drop and 2 video screens that are SO huge so that no matter where you sit - you feel close to the stage. The lighting was awesome and the bass was kicked up a few notches - I dont remember it thumping like that the last time Carol and I were there for Sunday Services.
* Greeters at every corner, nook and cranny willing to help and direct and welcome us, the ministry started in the parking lot with the parking folks and them greeting us. As we walked in with my church group they asked where we were from and a lady on a loud speaker yelled out CONCORD NC!!!! Everyone was clapping and welcoming us. That was cool and got the energy going right out of the gate...
* Coffee at every turn, snacks, water, fancy coffee, Milk OJ - just about everywhere!
* Lunch was provided by Chick Fil A and under 2 LARGE tents.... meals in bags sitting at each seat so there was no LINE anywhere - just find a seat and have lunch! Awesome idea.......

Sessions were broke down into:
-Main and opening section -worship and an opening message and bible lesson from the Lead Pastor - Perry Noble - that was AWESOME!
-Break -
-Breakout section 1 - that had us all in different directions and places. Carol and I hit the Childrens Ministry which just blew us away - I ran out of paper I had so many notes....
-Lunch
-Breakout section 2 - Carol and I hit the Volunteer section that was led by NewSprings Sherry Morehead. Unreal the army this church has put together for the kingdom of God. I think I wrote some notes on my pant leg :)
-Break
-Closing remarks by Lead Pastor Perry Noble~ worship and prayer time.

The entire day had me building up and encouraging me right to the end. I think everyone felt it. I can honestly say that was my first church conference and I can't wait to go back next year. I want to plant that excitement and vision into our church and the teams I lead so that they will get excited about church and serving and to not lose the vision that God originally called them for. So many times we get down and feel like quiting because we sometimes feel we are standing alone, its too hard and we are the only ones taking the weight of things .... I was reminded that YOUR pastor at church is taking YOURweight and everyone elses as well.... IMAGINE the heavy heart and shoulders they carry each and every day. I know that I would battle the gates of Hell for my Pastors, my volunteers and the staff at my church - I love these folks just like I love my family, my Rock Group and "My Kids" - I would fight for all of them......

Thats "Why?" I do what I do. Because they are worth it to God and they are worth it to me. I needed that shot in the arm .... well, shot in the heart :) to be exact.
God knows exactly what we need when we need it ........

Notes to follow~
Lonnie

No comments: