Thursday, January 14, 2010

True fear......

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

When we give in to the thoughts of fear, when we're constantly thinking about it, wrestling with it and letting it dominate our thoughts, more often than not, our fears become a reality. This was part of a discussion I recently had and thought I would follow up on a few thoughts about fear. Fear paralyzes ... Carol has a fear of heights, way more than I do. When we are at the cabin, we often times head out to Chimney Rock State Park and take the elevator to the top -(yes we ride up, walk down) Carol won't go out on the chimney. Her hands are sweaty, she shakes and if she ever had to go out there and cross the stairs while being hundreds of feet up - I just think she would sit down and not be able to move. I recently did that at a friends house who I sometimes take care of their yard and sometimes that included cleaning the gutters. Well, ladder not in the best of shape and barely making the gutter without much clearance. I climbed up the ladder to the roof. I cleaned the gutters but for sure was not climbing down that crappy ladder. So I sat.... hot, thirsty, dirty for a good 1/2 hr before I made the phone call to find someone. Figures someone was inside the entire time but hey I didn't know. I got down safely but through a bedroom window. My point is, that I was stuck.
I can remember a few years back not serving in church. I was afraid to step forward in faith and find out what it was all about. I had such a great fear of public speaking in school that I dodged the assignments at all costs. Fear truly does keep us from doing what we need to do. We have fears of failure, letting people down, spiders, snakes, being in closed places... so many things. But God has not given us fear. His trust allows us to overcome. He is with us when we are scared. Thats the beauty in it all .... He sees us through our fears.
Stepping into student ministry and being involved in childrens ministry for years - fear has to be pushed aside. It has to dealt with and handled. Otherwise I would not get anything done and once focused on it .... helpless.
I can remember back when my mom was sick and you could just see the fear in her eyes as she was looking for a nudge from God saying it was ok to trust Him and to not fear. I was going back and forth almost daily with 2 feet in different places... one at my mom and dads and the other at home. It was grueling .... but I needed to be in both places. On one trip up highway 52 I can remember just singing my heart out to MercyMe - Homesick - and God really pressed on me that I needed to be His light for my mom and those coming into their home. There was months of learning some incredible things during that season. I walked in after my trip up and the room was full of people visiting. My mom took one look at me and said look at you ... everyone in the room turned to look and I was just standing there having no idea what she was going to say but feeling so full of energy and power ... she said "Randy, you are glowing". Mom didn't seem to have fear anymore after that day ... she knew and in maybe some way felt God that day. I don't know...I don't want to take credit or even suggest anything other than the fact that mom was very peaceful after that day. She enjoyed people coming to see her for the most part because before she always worried about what people thought, the house was dirty, dad needed rest and to stop fussing over her. Oh fond memories of my moms life right there in that last sentance. God led my mom and a home full of friends and family over those next few weeks and months. All in a lesson learned hands on .... Psalm 116:6 The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.

God is leading me through some sticking points in my life.... He can do the same for you no matter how big a fear you may have. Take a step in faith and ask Him to walk with you through it... you just might be surprised when you get to the other side.
Joshua when he took over leadership from Moses must have had some fear. I mean how was he going to fill the shoes of Moses who led the people for 40 years and out of slavery and brought them SO close to the promised land? He took a huge step in faith, led by God, to lead a million people across the river and into the land that God had promised them. Fear just might have kept him from leading a nation but with Gods help and direction, he overcame and so can you. You can get over that fear today no matter what it may be.
What is fear keeping you from doing today?

Fear not loved ones for God is with you,
Lonnie~

No comments: