Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sidewalks......

I got to see this band last Sunday at WinterJam and even though I have had this particular song on my ipod and in many of my playlists... it really has stuck with me today. It is really speaking to me... I will share the words here and if you ever get a chance to see them perform ... make an effort to go or maybe just pick up their CD or download it through Itunes.

SideWalk Prophets: "The Words I Would Say"
Three in the morning,
And I'm still awake,
So I picked up a pen and a page,
And I started writing,
Just what I'd say,
If we were face to face,
I'd tell you just what you mean to me,
I'd tell you these simple truths,
Be strong in the lord and,
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,
Gods got his hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why your here,
Take your time and pray,
These are the words I would say,
Last time we spoke,
You said you were hurting,
And I felt your pain in my heart,
I want to tell you,
That I keep on praying,
Love will find you where you are,
I know cause I've already been there,
So please hear these simple truths,
From one simple life to another,
I will say,
Come find peace in the father

So what would you say if you had a chance to write God a letter? I for one, kept a journal that I named "Prayer of Jabez" and it really did help me a lot after the season of time that my mom passed. I even shared my journal with my wife, my cousin (sis) Patty and my Aunt Sharon (my adopted mom). I grew a lot in my faith that year and God taught me so much through sharing my heart and having time with him. Some of those entries where long and some even filled with many tears. It was almost like a journey along this path for God to instill power and vision into me. I began to really understand what "trust" was especially coming from our heavenly Father. See we all let someone down daily and putting our trust into people will only leave us feeling hurt at some point ... it will eventually happen. If you have ever had a close friend then you know that forgiveness will be part of that friendship. Things happen and in order to continue that friendship - there will be seasons of forgiveness and grace otherwise the friendship loses its way and people part. See God gives us that forgiveness each and every day. Often times people think that God left them or abandoned them but it is our fault that we don't feel God or feel like we have been forgotten. God is faithful and He is as He always will be.... people change - God doesn't. He is our rock and our foundation and through Him we find our truth and building blocks to our lives. Thats why He wants to be the center... everything coming complete circle around him. Center of our marriages, honoring in our friendships and included in our daily conversations and decisions. Whats the point in all this if you wont let this change you? Insanity is doing the same things over and over and over again expecting different results.
So where you are today ... Get a pen and write God a letter. Give it to someone to open at some point... maybe a year down the road, maybe you have a surgery coming up and things are scary, maybe you can't see your future because of a loss of employment or life is just going on by because of the death of a loved one and you are just stuck with no place to go... write that letter. Share your heart and give someone your shining spirit.
I remember when my Uncle Buster was going in for surgery a while back. I went up to Mt Airy NC and spent that morning with him, my aunt Sharon and our family. I had the chance to go to the back room where they had him ready for surgery and their Pastor prayed over him. After we prayed he looked at me and grabbed me by the hand and said "Randy, everything is going to be ok. I am either going to see you in a few hours or I am going to be hanging out with your mom and Jesus - either way its all ok." ...... Shining spirit - the brighter we shine loved ones, the further our light penetrates the darkness in this world.
Hope is CONTAGIOUS ....... God may just use your story to impact others and nobody else will have YOUR STORY. Get that pen...... and Tell it.
Shine on,
Lonnie~

1 comment:

Sharon Davis said...

You know Randy, the "Prayer of Jebez" letters that you wrote and sent me, I saved them, I saved every one of them. Sometimes I go back and read them. It was awesome and a help for me as well. So many of the feelings you had during that time was what I was feeling also. As I'm reading them I realize how much I have grown in my faith. I remember sending you some emails that emptied out my heart as well. I will treasure those forever my dear adopted son. Some things we can't change, like bringing your momma and my precious sister back, but these last four years as of Feb 23 when she died, as well as the months of her sickness, have changed us spiritualy in a way I would have never dreamed. God is definitly in charge of our lives and our paths. Thank God HE walks with us.

I remember that day uncle Buster had that surgery and he said that. What a peace we have as Christians going for surgery. If we never wake up.......as you told your momma "you will be at the feet of Jesus" she said something one day about "when her big toe steps into Heaven she will see Jesus". How awesome is that. I pray I can be as strong as she was when my time comes.

I saved all of our correspondence while she was sick, as well as the couple of years after she passed. It helped me every day, and still helps me now. We will never "get over it" we just go through it until we meet her again.

Keep up the writing, you never know when your words are the words that someone desperately needs. I know I need your encouragement, we never get so close to God that we don't need encouragement from other Christians.

My love,
Aunt Sharon