Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010

It has been a good break. A break from work, a break from writing on "thewalk" and a good change of routine in life the last few weeks. Alarm clock will not be liking me in the morning and with some time off - that usually means for me a time to think about tomorrow and not get a good rest tonight but I am hoping that will be different.
Yesterday I was involved in my first ever student ministry vision meeting. WOW - is all I have to say. Someone once told me that nothing good ever comes from a business meeting. I totally believe that to some extent. In business people want to push their agendas and they want to be heard but this leadership meeting was about teamwork. It is about serving and it is about putting your heart into something that you feel called and very deeply about - Showing, teaching and making disciples in our middle and high school students. It is hard at times. Moods, BFF's, facebook, texting, music - its all over the place and for them to find Jesus in all this noise is sometime extremely hard. I came out of yesterdays meeting ready to charge hell with a water pistol because I have people with me and I don't feel alone. I mean I do when it comes to struggling with families, (sometimes my own at times) struggles with students and their issues become my issues. It is a hard and lonely place at times and I am just beginning to feel the weight of this call on my life. 2010 will be a year that I will press through some personal growth and some things God is showing me and teaching me through. I am excited about that and by getting out of my comfort zone - I will get to learn some things along the way. I have learned the last few weeks - that I have to be a better student of students. I have to lead, show them Jesus but also get on their level and try to understand where they are at and where they are going in order for me to have any influence at all. TRUST is all about it and being authentically available when needed. That is a tough place to be sometimes when you have so much juggling in the air.
But it is what God has called me to do - we are to make a difference and that means being sold out in making a difference. God wants us to live a colorful and powerful life. He did not send his son Jesus to die on a cross for us just so we can spend eternity with Him. He has called us to reach the unreached and to make a difference in where we go in life. We are called to illuminate the dark places and shed His light on a very - VERY - dark world.
So this January - I have been challenged to read the book Joshua. One verse that really sticks out to me and speaks volumes is found in
Joshua 1:9.
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

I am going to carry this verse with me this year. I want to be reminded that fear is not something God has given us - given me - as I press through and get out of my comfort zones. There is growth there and I think about where I am today and thinking a few years ago - I would NEVER be doing what I am doing today but God has put things in my life, He has taken some things and some people from my life, He has put some important people to lead me in my life, He also has put some important students in my life, He has also make my family stronger because they too are owning their faith and living it out. Teamwork .......
So I pray that this year that you discover something new about yourself. You take a risk and trust God to get out of your comfort zones. I pray that the students in my life will trust more in God and find their purpose and meaning in this life. May 2010 be a year to remember as a break through year to bigger things - things that would not have otherwise come other than your relationship with our heavenly father.
Praying for you all.... with all the love and peace I have,
Lonnie

No comments: