Wednesday, January 27, 2010

To Save a Life~

This is a day that I have been waiting for since October. Our student ministry ~ The Flood~ is headed back out to the movies to enjoy some time together, to invite their friends and also to bring their families to a movie. Not just any movie but a good movie with a clear and reaching message. I am excited to see and watch how God uses this movie to not only put His name as the defining line in the movie but also as it opens avenues for middle/high school students to reveal what life is like for them today. It will open up conversations at home, heal some wounds, bring to light many struggles that students have today - from image, self asteem, family conflict, choices being made with drug use, sex and a dozen other things. God for sure is going to use this movie to reach a generation. If you want see the trailer go to here:
http://www.tosavealifemovie.com

Here are just a few of the testimonies of some folks who have seen it and how it has changed their lives.
1. So many people will try to downplay the amount of self mutilation, self harm, and suicide in highschool. Thank you to To Save A Life for not pulling any punches about this! At least half of the people I know in highschool have cut themselves and I can't tell you how much it meant to me that it was even mentioned. I was a cutter, and have since been able to encourage and help at least two of my friends who were cutting themselves (one of them had been cutting for a whole year and was still alive). God Loves The Cutters! He Heals The Broken! This movie has and will continue to help people like me know that God is our hope and our salvation, and He will continue to heal us and give us the strength to reach out to those around us.
2. this movie made me change my outlook on life, honestly. i tend to have a BAD attiude, and judge others by their looks, etc. when i saw this i felt VERY convicted, and decided it was time for a change. i think everyone should see this movie, it's very life changing. you never know how just a smile or a simple "i love you" could save someone's life.
3. I was totally blown away by this film's rigid grip. I was "That Kid" who just wanted to "escape" mediocrity. I had a friend that reached out. He kept talking with me until he got me to pray with him. I was delivered in a moment. Uprooted by Jesus and separated from the dark roots that was tangled in my "life". He may not remember that day, or even me, but that Sept 17th was burned indelibly on my heart. I know how amazing His Grace is. It only took one hand reaching... to reach me.

I am expecting a big turn out for this evening but even if it changes the heart of 1 ... it will be worth all the time and energy we have put into this to promote it, get the students to it, and give them a challenge ... "Whats the point in all this if you wont let this change you?"

I'll report in tomorrow..... Yeah God - Praying for some big pulls on the heart strings tonight and in the coming hours, days and weeks ahead.
Lonnie~

No comments: