Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The train ride....

I will be honest ~ I have not been sleeping good at all. The last 4-5 days have been really tough. Tossing and turning, going over things in my mind - struggling hard with a few issues that really concern me and are making my heart heavy. I know that keeping these things in the Lord hands is where they need to be. Do I continue on? How do I jump off the train? Is that what God wants me to do? How do I abandon ship and leave the people there and "Leaving" is the key word. Do I stick this out and do what God has called me to do? What IF I missed the sign and I am in nowhereland walking this long journey that leads no place?
I have been involved in childrens ministry now for 3 years. I don't feel called to teach at Sunday school but to build relationships. I feel called to be in the childrens lives, to get to know them, to listen to them, to comfort and assure the parents that their child is safe at church, being taught Gods word in church and is having fun. They can then go and be in the service and listen to Gods word at their own level. Some churches don't even let children into their services - but for now - the worship (music) is such a big thing today for kids and having them in the service during worship is huge. Nothing like a 1st grader on the front row with her eyes shut and hands raised praising God. Sunday school is working for that child - her parents are giving her an example of following Jesus. It's the lost kids, the struggling kids, the kids who come in who you can tell have 1 parent or no parents that need my attention. I have learned alot over the last few years and I understand and have learned I and our team of teachers are there for the "Train" - for the entire group. I say TRAIN because when you lose them - they roll right over you like a train :) - Kids want to be heard - they need someone to listen to them. They have prayer requests and things that are important to them. Sometimes in our ministry - in our walk with Jesus as we provide examples (our lives) for these children - we need to stop the train and get down on their level and listen. We need to come out of our comfort zone and really go to the messy places. We are called to make a difference. Sometimes that means it costs us something. It may be money, it may be time and it may be a broken heart in the long run. They all matter to God and it is our calling to love them as Jesus loves them. We will always have an excuse to NOT get involved. Its hard at times to be involved - to see the decisions being made in families and the directions they are going in. I make bad decisions at times as well. Its hard seeing the struggles of kids today - it is so much harder raising a kid today than say - when I was growing up. (a long time ago) I know I am making a difference and it doesn't matter how hard it is. Apostle Paul suffered doing what he was called to do. Jesus came and died for it.
Messy is where the tough people go. Messy is also where the loving and grace filled hearts go.
Messy is where we get down to the dirt of the matter. Messy is also where we experience how to shape the mud into wonderful things.
Messy is sometimes where we find the "Realness" of the person or the child.
Messy is where you are making a difference.
Ministry is messy at times and sometimes we need to pull the train over - and minister to those on board. We have to sometimes drop what we are doing, all for Gods glory, roll the sleeves up and get right down into the moment.
There is something special in being pulled by the arm so that a child can share something important with you. If it matters to them.... It matters to God ...and that means - it should matter to me and matter to you.
I know I have my train ticket around here somewhere.....
Lonnie

My morning quiet time this morning~
1 Thessalonians 5
Final Instructions 12Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. 16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments: