Tuesday, January 13, 2009

1 Corinthians 13
Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Over time every relationship will endure a season of time that needs forgiveness. Some are small and some are big but they will come regardless. If love is the root of that relationship - forgiveness is easy and will come without a blink. If not - the relationship breaks and parts to separate ways. I have always heard to forgive often and love more. Love endures all the hard things in life. Our churches today need to extend that love to its people. Growing up I was not in church but I wonder if I was, would I have felt the love that I have for the church and my church family like I do today? Do the families I am leading in my Rock Group feel the love I have for them? Do the kids in Sunday school feel the love I have for them? My extended church families? My dad, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins? ~ do they really know how much I love them? Love is at the very core of what church and following Jesus is all about. Jesus loved the church and died for the church. He referred to it as His Bride. Church is not a building, a place or a thing.... its about "people".
Jesus gave us a very important instruction before He left for Heaven:
John 13
34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

I love it when its a basic and a very clear instruction. Its awesome for us not so smart folks! It is direct and to the point. LOVE ONE ANOTHER. That means even if its hard. Even if you don't receive it back. Even if its not convenient. That means not giving in. That means even when it hurts. That means going to those messy places. That means getting involved and putting action behind it.
Love leaves a lasting mark in the lives of people. When we are dead and gone all they will have is memories ... what will be your memory for those in your life?
Read verses 7-8 again - 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

Thank You God for your example of Love and for loving us so much to send Your son Jesus. May love be at the core of our hearts and soul to those around us. Help us build our compassion for them and extend that love to those around us who are hurting. May Your loving hands work through all that we are doing today. I pray in Your son's name in Jesus.
Amen

No comments: