Thursday, January 8, 2009

How awesome it was to get back in the schools this week. Working lunch today with Kyles class... I just love working lunches. It gives me a chance to go around and check in with all the kids (as well as some of the teachers!) Not only Kyle's class but also check in on some of the kids in the other classes. I have known lots of them now for years..... There is nothing like a kid coming up and giving a big hug and telling me they missed me - full knowing what life is like at home for that child. I may not even know the full story but its heart warming nonetheless. Some of these kids are hurting - hurting like adults - they are looking to be heard, accepted, need a smile or even just a little hope. Someone to tell them they can do it, to aim higher than they are aiming, to find the good in everything even when they don't see it, to make good choices, to pick their friends wisely, and be reminded that they are loved...regardless of what is happening around them.

Sometimes investing in people (kids) is inconvenient, it is hard, it hurts, it costs, it interrupts, but it can also be so rewarding and fulfilling. What opportunities will you be missing if you did not invest in those around you or with someone who is hurting? How can I go into a lunch room and see a child not have anything to eat for lunch or not have icecream money and have $2 in my pocket and not give it to them. Yes they can do without icecream by why should they? Why should the other kids see them do without so they can be singled out and different?
I can honestly say the compassion level for those around me (people) that I am experiencing the last few months has only grown because of my study and learning to be more like Jesus. Jesus healed when He saw a need or was asked. He touched the eyes of those who could not see- instantly healing them. He saw a crowd gather and they were lost, like sheep, so He taught them. He had such compassion for people. Children would come to Him and His disciples pushed them away - but He said to bring them to Him.
Compassion is the feeling one gets for what others are going through. It is a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another. We often hear the words - "You have not walked a mile in their shoes". We really don't have an idea of what others are going through unless we have been through it as well. When I talk to my niece Katie - I can say to her - I know how you feel with losing your mom... because I too - have lost my mom. I too understand the pain and the loss. When I see a child without a parent, due to divorce, death, or one who just walked away from them - I feel their pain and loss. The longing for that space to be filled by something good and someone who really cares for them.
Compassion is walking with that someone- not just providing a meal at Christmas for them ... or telling them you will be praying for them and walking away. You have to be in for the long haul.
James 2:26 Just as the body is dead without breath,[a] so also faith is dead without good works.
Jesus gave each of us a great examples on being compassionate. Sometimes being compassionate changes lives.... When we reach out to those hurting, we change their lives... they know someone has their back, they know that they can lean on someone other than themselves but more importantly - it changes us. As you draw closer to them and you draw closer to Jesus - Jesus draws you closer to Him. I find myself these days just thinking through and looking for opportunities to serve others. Praying that God will use me somehow today.... even if its just a small conversation or a word of encouragement - God has called us to do so ..... each of us to be the church - His church. It is amazing when that kind of thing happens and when 2 families share in the experience. Especially, when one does not know Jesus.......

Who in your life right now has a need you can meet? You will always have an excuse to not get involved...... it is time to put down the excuse.
God has called you to care.......
1 Peter 2:21 “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.”

Its not about the icecream or the $2 in your pocket.... it way bigger loved ones. Aim high.....

Looking forward to tonight - getting to hang out with some good buddies of mine. Kyle calls them "Manlymen"...... :)
May God move your heart today to fill a need,
Lonnie~

No comments: