Friday, October 31, 2008

One of the greatest gifts.......

Got back a little while ago from having lunch with Kyle. His class has a substitute in and I greeted him as soon as the kids got to the table and asked him - "When are you going to land a spot here?" - He is a great teacher and the kids love him. I had the freedom today to walk around the tables and sit with the kids and really talk with them. Carol brought in some cup cakes for Halloween and other parents for other classes did the same. It was great seeing some of the other parents there also. The kids are all excited about today - about going trick or treating and all the fun time that brings. But that is not always the case..... not everyone gets to have a fond memory as some will be going to stay with dad or they have a sick parent at home - maybe they have parents who are split up right now and things at home are very tense. You can see it on the faces of those kids .... It really shows.

I think one of the greatest things I could ever give Kyle is that I love his mother. It is one of the most important things I can ever do. He does not have to worry about chosing a parent, where to live (mom or dads) or taking sides (step moms or step dads). He has a family that sticks together and he is being provided an example of what marriage takes. A commitment still means something. I think about all the kids who don't have a parent - the dad who has walked away and left and the hole that it has left in the family. I think about the parent who lives far away and only gets to see his kids once in awhile. I think about the relationships that are forever hurt, forever damaged without that parent being in the home. I think about that son who has lost his courage and example of what it means to be a dad - what it means to lead a family. I think about that father/daughter relationship that is supposed to be so special and how when a daughter grows up she should fall in love with someone like her dad - who will be there no matter what, who will love them regardless and will always be there for them. A guy like dad who gave security and when dating begins - an honest man and with appropriate intentions.

There are a lot of hurting families and the devil is having his way with us today by pulling apart the very fabric of the family. Many of you know Carol and I have lots of kids at the house each week. Some, Carol helping out a parent who is working late or is just letting their kids hang with us. I love the days when I get home from work and there are 2-3 kids at the house. I don't care about their background or where they have come from - all I care about is that they see a family unit working. That they see us pray before the meal. God being centered in the family home and that they are welcomed no matter what or when. Somehow we need to get the core values back in our families.... it has taken a generation or 2 to get to this point and it may take that many to get it back.

My greatest gift to Kyle is loving his mother. I love you Carol~
May God continue to be our center piece in our home and in our family.
Lonnie~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you too ~~~~ C

Jimmy Britt said...

Lonnie. This is really cool stuff. Kyle and Carol are both blessed!